New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Two-week old iBook can't read and burn CD-R any more!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AlexN

EDIT: Problem solved.

My 2-week old iBook can't read CD-R any more! I even ran Disk Permission repair to see if it helped. It could read and burn CD-R the first week.

I bought this iBook on apple online store. Now the warranty question, do I have to shipped it to Apple? Who is going to pay for the shipping?

...too bad, I've never thought of getting a defective product before.
QUOTE Thanks
iWonder

iWonder is a jewel in the roughiWonder is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.

so it cant read it, but it can burn it?
QUOTE Thanks
AlexN

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWonder
so it cant read it, but it can burn it?
No, it can't read and burn CR-R any more. I inserted the empty CD-R, but it wouldn't mount it. So I reset the iBook, and it gave me an error message "The disk you inserted couldn't be read by this computer." when I logged on. I even tried different brands, and tested those disks on my desktop computers.

It was fine the first week...
QUOTE Thanks
AlexN

Any idea why wouldn't it read and burn CD-R disk besides it's defective? I mean it was fine last week.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I am guessing the CD Drive has problems. Do you have an Apple Store anywhere nearby you could take it to? It's too new to be doing that. Really sounds like a drive failure.
QUOTE Thanks
hondagus87

hondagus87 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: New MACBOOK

If you need too, go to apple.com, and go to the support part of their website, and submit a "trouble ticket", they will email you back and also ship a box to you, you pack the ibook in it, then send it to them (postage already paid by apple), they in turn send you another ibook (not yours), and fix your old one, and sell it as refurbished. At least thats the way it works with ipods.
QUOTE Thanks
AlexN

Problem resolved. I changed a setting in CDs & DVDs in system preferences, and now it's back to normal.

Everything is fine now, it works like a champ. :headphone
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Just for the record, what was set wrong?
QUOTE Thanks
AlexN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7
Just for the record, what was set wrong?
In CDs & DVDs, I set everything to [Ignore], so everytime I put in a DVD movie, or CD music, iDVD or iTune won't pop up. But for blank CD and DVD, it has to be set to [Open in Finder], because blank CD won't mount itself if I set it to [Ignore].

Cheers :headphone
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ibook from ebay | Stupid question!!! »