New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Flashing question mark on macbook screen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gabe3

gabe3 is on a distinguished road

I have a late 2007 macbook. I was browsing in firefox today and I started getting the spinning rainbow wheel and the computer wouldn't respond for about 10 seconds while the rainbow wheel was up, then it would respond for like 3 seconds, then again with the wheel, no response. It did this a few times and I could hear the hard drive make some noise during the 3 second response periods. It wasn't a strange noise, just sounded like the hard drive would stop working while the computer wasn't responding and then start again while it was. So I held the power button, computer turned off, I turned it back on, all it shows is a gray screen and then a flashing folder with a question mark in it. my usb ports still work, at least they will still charge my phone.

If I hold alt option key down I get a mouse cursor that I can move around but thats all. anything else I can try?

I found this: A flashing question mark appears when you start your Mac

Quote:
If you see a flashing question mark when you start your Mac, it's probably because it can't find the system software it needs to start up. Usually, all you have to do to get your Mac back up and running is remind it where its software is.
I assume it can't find the system software cause the hard drive is broken.
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe3 View Post
I have a late 2007 macbook. I was browsing in firefox today and I started getting the spinning rainbow wheel and the computer wouldn't respond for about 10 seconds while the rainbow wheel was up, then it would respond for like 3 seconds, then again with the wheel, no response. It did this a few times and I could hear the hard drive make some noise during the 3 second response periods. It wasn't a strange noise, just sounded like the hard drive would stop working while the computer wasn't responding and then start again while it was. So I held the power button, computer turned off, I turned it back on, all it shows is a gray screen and then a flashing folder with a question mark in it. my usb ports still work, at least they will still charge my phone.

If I hold alt option key down I get a mouse cursor that I can move around but thats all. anything else I can try?

I found this: A flashing question mark appears when you start your Mac

I assume it can't find the system software cause the hard drive is broken.
It does sounds like your Hard Drive has died. Hopefully you had everything backed up.
QUOTE Thanks
gabe3

gabe3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDude121 View Post
It does sounds like your Hard Drive has died. Hopefully you had everything backed up.
I didn't since this is my secondary computer, I wanted to but I'd have to get an external drive since the one I have is set up for windows file system.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Going to 1 Mac from 2 question | Looking for used Mac laptop »