New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Dropped Powerbook! Casing....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Steel02001

So my fiance dropped my 12" powerbook this morning. Still in perfect working order, however, it landed directly on the corner buckling it so now the corner has a buckle about 1/4 inch to the left when looking at it from the front. Can this be fixed does anyone know? If so how much am I looking at?

Please say its fixable.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

http://www.pbfixit.com/

It is about 200 bucks for the top and 200 for the bottom, so depending on where the damage is it will cost either 200 or 400 bucks for you to do it yourself, much more to have apple do it

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

oohh id be looking for a new fiance, heh j/k, sorry to hear about the powerbook hopefully youll only need one part of the casing, good luck
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

you can try to just make it look better, by opening the case and trying to push it back out, or hammer it back out depending on how stiff it is.. it that does not work you will need to buy the new parts for the prices stated above, pbfixit.com has diagrams and instructions on how to take apart the powerbook.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
Steel02001

Its just the bottom fortunately. How hard is this to do, fixing it myself, does anyone know?
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel02001
So my fiance dropped my 12" powerbook this morning. Still in perfect working order, however, it landed directly on the corner buckling it so now the corner has a buckle about 1/4 inch to the left when looking at it from the front. Can this be fixed does anyone know? If so how much am I looking at?

Please say its fixable.
As long as it works I wouldn't worry about it too much. Even if you think you may want to sell it one day by then the parts and labor(if you don't do it yourself) will be a lot cheaper by then. So don't worry about it. I am the same way about my stuff but accidents happen. Get it in writing, "If this engagement is broken blank shall pay for damages resulted from the dropping of this powerbook." LOL. :black:
QUOTE Thanks
joeytomatoes

Post a !@#^%$ picture so we can see the damage and give you the fix.
QUOTE Thanks
Steel02001

I will post a picture on saturday night, thats the soonest I can get it. Its the lower case, it just needs to be either pushed back in or a new lower case all together. Looks like it was nailed on the head by the guys.

I e-mailed the pbfixit.com and they dont have the parts for my computer in yet, I might call apple since it is under warranty but I doubt they will do anything for me.
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

Yeah Apple won't cover it unless it is a manu. defect or hardware malfunction.
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

tell them it simultaneously imploded while you were using it, and it was so startling you almost had a heart attack
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel02001
Its just the bottom fortunately. How hard is this to do, fixing it myself, does anyone know?
It would be easier if it was the top case...
To change the bottom case, you take nearly the whole PowerBook apart, as you need to take everything out.
Needs time, patience, and a way not to mix up the screws.

I think pbfixit.com has also guides about how to change the parts.
QUOTE Thanks
Steel02001

I am starting to think this is a bit over my head.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Music while powerbook is closed | Does the PB power button light up? »