New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Pro's SuperDrive as external drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

David3nk0

David3nk0 is on a distinguished road

Hi!

I own a MacBook Pro 13" 2010 and am about to swap the SuperDrive with an SSD. I already have the Optibay case for the Mac's internal HDD, but not for the SuperDrive. What I want to know is, whether I can somehow connect the SuperDrive through the USB port with some sort of opticaldrive-to-usb connector? If not, what sort of technical specifications must I be aware of when buying an external SuperDrive case?
Since I reside inside the EU, I would appreciate not being linked to US retailers.

Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

I realize that you didn't want an US based site, but oh well. You can do the rest of the leg work considering that you know the UK based sites which I don't. What you want is something like this (and they do take BP)

SATA Optical Drive (Superdrive) Enclosure for Unibody Macbook

Doug

P.S. All I did was Google " Turn MacBook Pro SuperDrive into an external drive"
QUOTE Thanks
David3nk0

I know there are a few options, but I'm looking for the cheapest way. I could do without the case, if it were possible to get some sort of cable or connector, which would link the SuperDrive externally to the Macbook Pro via USB port.

Something like this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...-12-10_950.jpg

What kind of a connector does the SuperDrive even use?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

It would be called a Universal Drive adapter. Yes, you can find some cheaper ones probably at amazon and newegg.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
David3nk0

I figured out the SuperDrive uses a micro SATA controller and found a cheap micro SATA-to-USB cable. Just what the doctor ordered.

Thanks for the replies.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« AMD Radeon 15" Macbook Pro | HDD Replacement »