New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro bogging down with Firefox usage

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

slapshot36227

slapshot36227 is on a distinguished road

I viewed many posts about slow MBPs, but I didn't find any questions specifically relating to my problem.

When I first open Firefox, it works fine and doesn't lag at all. As long as I only have 1 or 2 tabs open, it's fine. However, in some situations I need to do a google search and open the first 5 results in new tabs. Whenever I do this, Firefox bogs down and can never recover, even when I get down to 1 tab again. I restart Firefox and all is well again. Is this a common problem and what can I do to make Firefox perform better?

I know I shouldn't open so many tabs at once but in some situations it is completely necessary.

Thanks,
Zach
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

What version of FF are you using? FF does have problems with leaking memory and using resources. By restarting, you start all over. Keep your eye on the "Activity Monitor" (start the Activity Monitor.app) and watch for memory leakage from FF.

In the meantime you could use another browser. Safari, Opera, Chrome.
QUOTE Thanks
slapshot36227

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
What version of FF are you using? FF does have problems with leaking memory and using resources. By restarting, you start all over. Keep your eye on the "Activity Monitor" (start the Activity Monitor.app) and watch for memory leakage from FF.

In the meantime you could use another browser. Safari, Opera, Chrome.
I have Firefox 6.0 installed, and I looked into reverting to 5.0 but I couldn't figure it out. Whenever it starts bogging down, yes, Firefox in the Activity Monitor goes crazy. I didn't want to have to change browsers but if an update isn't released soon I may have to.
QUOTE Thanks
slapshot36227

Any other ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot36227 View Post
I have Firefox 6.0 installed, and I looked into reverting to 5.0 but I couldn't figure it out. Whenever it starts bogging down, yes, Firefox in the Activity Monitor goes crazy. I didn't want to have to change browsers but if an update isn't released soon I may have to.
You could update to FF7 beta - it's been out for a bit. I think there were some issues with 6 (will have to find the link) - but I'm still using 4 - for the few things that I actually need FF for.
QUOTE Thanks
dmccloud

dmccloud has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD

FF 7 Beta is better at not consuming mass amounts of memory than FF6 - but it still needs some work. I have found myself using Chrome and Safari more than Firefox (and I've been a Firefox fan for years) because ever since the 6.0 release I've seen more and more performance issues and unexplained lockups with the browser - in both Windows and OS X.

-------------------------------------------------
15" Retina MacBook Pro (Late 2013)
2.6 GHz Core i7 | 16GB | 1TB SSD | OS X Mavericks 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks
slapshot36227

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccloud View Post
FF 7 Beta is better at not consuming mass amounts of memory than FF6 - but it still needs some work. I have found myself using Chrome and Safari more than Firefox (and I've been a Firefox fan for years) because ever since the 6.0 release I've seen more and more performance issues and unexplained lockups with the browser - in both Windows and OS X.
That's the major problem I've seen, too. Ever since I left FF 5 I've been pretty disappointed. However, I upgraded to 7 and it seems to be performing better than 6 so I'm sure the next update will be even better.

Thanks for the help.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« High pitched whine after sleep? | How to 'ruggedize' my MacBook Air?... »