New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Liquid Damaged MacBook Pro Working Again

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overrrdose

Overrrdose is on a distinguished road

So I bought this on eBay for $560. The Macbook 5, 1 15" Pro had liquid damage and it was booting to a white screen with an apple screen, and a loading bar. Now the loading bar only went halfway and then the Mac shut down. After being unable to fix it myself, I took it in to a store that said they would fix my logic board for $280. I took it in and they said they could not fix it after about 3 or 4 days. I did not pay because they said they wouldn't charge me. I went home to see if there was at least any progress and it turns on just fine! Everything is working expect the internal microphone!!

Now my question here is, should I sell this Macbook and get another one of the same kind? Do you think it's fine, or will it mess up soon? I need to know ASAP as I do not want it to break and then I would get less money out of it. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

RustProofCorn has a spectacular aura about

Well by the sounds of it your a dishonest fellow.

60% of the time it works every time.
QUOTE Thanks
Overrrdose

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustProofCorn View Post
Well by the sounds of it your a dishonest fellow.

Wow ok how is this being dishonest?
QUOTE Thanks
joshualeuty96

joshualeuty96 is on a distinguished road

I'd sell it now whilst you can. It could be a matter of time before it starts showing problems again!
QUOTE Thanks
makavelim3

makavelim3 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP, 2.40MHz, I5P, 8GBM, 500MBHD 7200

Unless you tells the new owner the full history of the MBP. I would say sell it, but be honest with the buyer. good luck !
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overrrdose View Post

Now my question here is, should I sell this Macbook and get another one of the same kind? Do you think it's fine, or will it mess up soon? I need to know ASAP as I do not want it to break and then I would get less money out of it. Thanks
100% in agreement with what "makavelim3" mentioned. Sure...go ahead and sell it if that's what you would like to do. But be 100% open & honest with who you sell it to about the liquid damage, how it didn't work right for a while, and now that it's working again (but who knows for how long).

Of course...don't expect to get full used value for it...since whomever buys it will be taking a risk...and would expect a discount for taking that risk.

Good luck,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Overrrdose

I was planning on selling it to one of those people who can "fix" them for fun or whatever. I already have some people who offered $900 for it, he opened it up and everything at a store and said everything looked good. I don't know though
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overrrdose View Post
I was planning on selling it to one of those people who can "fix" them for fun or whatever. I already have some people who offered $900 for it, he opened it up and everything at a store and said everything looked good. I don't know though
What the heck don't you know??? You paid $560 for it...and you say you have "some people" offering $900 for it (I assume you communicated this computers history).

So what's the issue? You make $340 dollars profit towards another computer ($900 total)...and hopefully you've done the right thing by making potential buyers aware of the computers history.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Nobody in their right mind would pay $900 for a water damaged computer.

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Pro 3,1 2x 2.8GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 64GB Verizon iPhone 6 Plus | iPad Air 2 64GB LTE | iPad mini 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | TV1 | TV3
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't Get on the Internet | High pitched whine after sleep? »