New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Bluetooth to Connect to internet

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dmachine

dmachine is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Black Macbook Intel 2GHZ CD, 2GB RAM

I have bluetooth in my PowerBook and I want to be able to use a bluetooth phone to connect to the internet when I am away from home. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good bluetooth phone to use or any suggestions? I have Verizon as my service provider.
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

I don't think you could connect to the internet through Bluetooth. Don't quote me, because I'm really not sure, but after reading some on HowStuffWorks I would assume the bandwidth is very limited. I would also assume you're not using bluetooth on your phone to connect to the internet, you're using the service provider over phone signals. Hope this helps.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
dmachine

What I meant was connect the PowerBook to the phone via bluetooth and then connect to the internet using the phone as a modem.
QUOTE Thanks
Tris...

Tris... is on a distinguished road

Connecting to a Bluetooth Mobile phone to a mac is actually very easy. Well at least it is with a Sony Ericcson phone. I use a Sony Ericcson S700i, part of the pairing process is whether you want to use the phone as a modem.

Setting it up as the modem for your computer is pretty simple, you use the standard Ericcson Infrared modem driver. Then you just set it up the same as you do for your standard dial up connection.

Dial up speeds are slow, typically around 9.600 or less. You can get faster using GPRS if you have that available. The set up is still fairly easy but you need a different modem driver, which can be down loaded from the Internet. You then also need to find out the GPRS settings for your Service Provider.

If you need more help let me know.

Tris...
QUOTE Thanks
mblphnlvr

mblphnlvr is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: G4 15" PowerBook 1.3Ghz, 1gb, 120gb hd

I wouldn't really recomend using Verizon for your data services. They don't have very reasonable data prices. I would go with Sprint or Cingular. As for a phone, there isn't a great selection available right now. I would suggest for you to wait just a little while longer and you will be able to choose from a much greater variety.

You may be able to use your current phone with a data cable. I use my Sanyo 8200 with a data cable and it works great.
QUOTE Thanks
dmachine

If I got a data cable for my current phone would I be able to connect to the internet even though I dont have a dial-up internet account? Where would I get the settings to do it?
QUOTE Thanks
IanCT

IanCT will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmachine
I have bluetooth in my PowerBook and I want to be able to use a bluetooth phone to connect to the internet when I am away from home. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good bluetooth phone to use or any suggestions? I have Verizon as my service provider.
I use my Motorola V505 and it works great - seems "slightly" faster than dialup but never did a speed test. You have to use a specific number to dial, something like #9900, it's on the Cingular website but you have to dig. I'll have to look at my PowerBook and check. No username/password. I think the correct driver I use for my phone is the Motorola BitSurfr.

If you have a data cable it should work also, but there's a different connection to be made in Network Preferences but I don't know how that goes, never had a cable to try it.

You can also use iSync to sync your Address Book and Phone. I keep a separate contact list called "Phone" to keep them separate from my main list, and I can mass-update my phone number contacts and sync it back to the phone rather quickly.
QUOTE Thanks
dmachine

I just wanted to let everyone know that I got a PalmOne Treo 650 with Cingular. I am very happy with it. Does anyone else have this phone? As soon as I get my PowerBook from Apple repairing it I will try and connect to the internet with it and let evryone know how it goes.
QUOTE Thanks
speed4tu

speed4tu is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 17" Macbook Pro 3.06Ghz 7200RPM 500gb

I connect via bluetooth with my V3 Razr and cingular. Works great, granted it is kinda slow but gets the job done. Gotta love the unlimited data plan.
QUOTE Thanks
dmachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed4tu
I connect via bluetooth with my V3 Razr and cingular. Works great, granted it is kinda slow but gets the job done. Gotta love the unlimited data plan.
How did you go about setting it up on the PowerBook?
QUOTE Thanks
october

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmachine
How did you go about setting it up on the PowerBook?
really is pretty easy, though it does very with every service provider. I used to work for a cellphone company and found out each company has their own dial in code that you set in your settings, so you might need to ask your service provider first. Unless someone uses the same on here that has already used it.

The most important thing is to make sure you can connect your phone to your mac. Also as far as just dialup using minutes, I don't believe it is possible to do it that way..it would have to use the actual internet service with the provider (like GPRS or EDGE)
QUOTE Thanks
dmachine

I got my PowerBook back today and tried setting up my Treo to be able to connect to the internet but I dont know what modem script I need to use. Their isnt a Palm modem script and that is what is causing me to not connect to the internet. Can anyone help me with this.
QUOTE Thanks
dmachine

I think that it was on here that I saw instructions on setting up the Treo 650 but I am unable to find it. If anyone knows where I can find that information please post it. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
moetazthabet

I have just been upto this recently and actually it is working. After completing the steps of pairing your powerbook to your phone via the blutooth menu in the system preferences panel - the next most important thing is the MODEM SCRIPT. it took me a while to find it, at least one that works ...

.. here is the one that worked wiht my Nokia, it has a few Modem scripts inside you just have to test the one that works with your phone and GSM network. Also read the instructions carefully ... this one does not need to put the *99# or other fast GPRS number .. hope it works with you
Attached Files
File Type: zip NokiaGPRS2004-05_SCRIPTS.sit.zip (68.5 KB, 3 views)
QUOTE Thanks
firsteggprez

firsteggprez is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 3 GHz 3 gigs of ram & 2004 PowerBook

I did this on my motterola like 2 years ago... its quite simple.

Just set up you cell as a bluetuth device then go into internet connect and make a profile with these settings.

Phone Number: #777
Account: yourcellnumberwiththeareacode@vzw3g.com
Password: VZW

Make sure you have the internet plan and you should be good to go... this is some old info that i got off the top of my head but it should work. Google it if it doesnt work or coment on here and i can go home and check it out.

Edit: Did a search i remembered asking somthing about this a long time ago and was able to figure it all out. This should all work

-Chapman Film School: Class of 2012-
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple Support | 15.4 MBP, glossy display....how to clean? »