New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Air SSD Space

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ballr24

Ballr24 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13 Inch Apple MacBook Pro; 2.40 GHZ, 4GB Ram, 250GB HDD

My uncle wants a Mac, asked me what he should get. We've decided and he's getting the 13 inch MacBook Air (2011 model). Now we just don't know whether he should go 128GB or 256GB. He gave me some information and he's using about 190GB of stuff on his PC, however, that includes tons of GBs of crap Windows had already installed, plus several large iTunes backups. He wants to keep his Mac clean and simple though, only gonna keep the things he needs. He has about 10GB of video and pictures and 5GB of music. What would you guys do? He doesn't wanna get stuck down the road as the Air isn't upgradeable. Is it worth spending $300 for the extra space?

HP Pavillion G62; 2.10 GHZ, 4GB DDR3 Ram, 320GB HDD. 32GB Apple iPod Touch (4G). LG Gossip.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I'd look more closely at the data stored on his current machine.

Why "several" iTunes backups - this doesn't make sense. While he may have duplicates of his iTunes stuff, it's definitely not a "backup" if it's stored on the same hard drive.

After eliminating all duplicates from his video, picture and music libraries - if he's been using that machine for several years and has less than 50GB of his own data - then I'd think the 128 GB should be big enough. Unless that is, he starts downloading a bunch of video and music to the machine.

Having said that, if he's got the money and it ain't gonna kill him to spend the extra $300 - that's what I would do... and did with my new MBA - I'm also storing all of my video, music and photos externally. My wife on the other hand could live with a 64 GB drive and not have to worry about storage space.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Ballr24

I mean they're backups for different devices.

Alright, thanks. He isn't too tech. savvy, I think I'll visit him and see how much he's actually using, then we can go and actually buy it. Thanks!

HP Pavillion G62; 2.10 GHZ, 4GB DDR3 Ram, 320GB HDD. 32GB Apple iPod Touch (4G). LG Gossip.
QUOTE Thanks
Ballr24

Another question: How much of the 128GB is actually useable?

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballr24 View Post
My uncle wants a Mac, asked me what he should get. We've decided and he's getting the 13 inch MacBook Air (2011 model). Now we just don't know whether he should go 128GB or 256GB. He gave me some information and he's using about 190GB of stuff on his PC, however, that includes tons of GBs of crap Windows had already installed, plus several large iTunes backups. He wants to keep his Mac clean and simple though, only gonna keep the things he needs. He has about 10GB of video and pictures and 5GB of music. What would you guys do? He doesn't wanna get stuck down the road as the Air isn't upgradeable. Is it worth spending $300 for the extra space?
SSD's are very expensive ($$$/gigabyte) compared to traditional hard drives. Buying more storage space than currently needed is always a good idea (when we're talking traditional HD's)...but with SSD's...this can get pretty expensive.

Like "bobtomay" suggested...try to get a really good idea of what's on your uncle's computer before deciding on an SSD. Also consider that many people store a lot of "stuff/junk" on their computers that they really don't use that often...and thus this "stuff" (although important to save)...doesn't necessarily need to reside on the internal HD or SSD of a computer. So some sort of external backup could be used.

I have a MacBook Pro with a 160 gig internal "traditional" HD. I don't store much "junk" on it...and I'm currently only using 35gigs of storage space (and I've been using this computer for years). I'm sure I do have some "junk" on this computer...and I'm sure I could probably get around 3-5 gigs back if I removed items I really don't use very often.

As far as formatted space of an SSD...here's a review for a 256gig SSD...where it states formatted capacity to be around 238gigs:

Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB SSD Review | bit-tech.net

Here's a review for a 128 gig SSD...where formatted capacity is around 112gig:

Zalman N128 128 GB SSD Review - Page 10/10 | techPowerUp

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

The folks I've seen post about it had approx 100GB free - out of the box - with the 128GB SSD in the current gen MBA.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
The folks I've seen post about it had approx 100GB free - out of the box - with the 128GB SSD in the current gen MBA.
I'm assuming that 100gig free "out of the box" includes the OS install...which is certainly a much more useful number when talking about "free space available".

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Ballr24

Thanks a lot guys! I'll make sure to find out just exactly how much he's using. I think 128GB will be good for him, he has a desktop which he uses quite often as well, so not all data will go on this computer.

QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Best bet is to clean up the excessive clutter on the old computer first. Reassess and then decide whether 128 or 256 is sufficient. Cleaning it first will make the data transfer process run more quickly anyhow. I have a 128GB SSD in my '11 Air and am fine, the caveat being I keep my main iTunes and media libraries on a shared Mac Mini with a 2TB RAID. I just drag 20 or 30GB of entertainment to the Air when I travel.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
wolfpuppies3

wolfpuppies3 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11 MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini

I have a 256 gig new MB Air and do not have enough room on it to store iTunes. I keep that on my 500 gig MB Pro. I also do not have anywhere near enough room on either for my photos so they are on an external 1 TB drive.
QUOTE Thanks
Ballr24

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
Best bet is to clean up the excessive clutter on the old computer first. Reassess and then decide whether 128 or 256 is sufficient. Cleaning it first will make the data transfer process run more quickly anyhow. I have a 128GB SSD in my '11 Air and am fine, the caveat being I keep my main iTunes and media libraries on a shared Mac Mini with a 2TB RAID. I just drag 20 or 30GB of entertainment to the Air when I travel.
Exactly what I was gonna do, thanks.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Protecting my MacbookPro? | My 1st gen macbook air bloated »