New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Using an Ibook as a main machine


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
timboellis
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Can I or is it not advisable to use an Ibook for my main machines connected to a VGA monitor mouse and keyboard.

It would be on for about 12 hours a day, but I would leave the screen up so the heat can disipate.

I am just gagging to get rid of my PC if i can but anyone advise if this would be o.k or will the Ibook die on me.

Also I assume it will run my TFT monitor at 1024 ?

What hardware woudl i need would it be one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Official-A...QQcmdZViewItem
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by timboellis
Can I or is it not advisable to use an Ibook for my main machines connected to a VGA monitor mouse and keyboard.

It would be on for about 12 hours a day, but I would leave the screen up so the heat can disipate.

I am just gagging to get rid of my PC if i can but anyone advise if this would be o.k or will the Ibook die on me.

Also I assume it will run my TFT monitor at 1024 ?

What hardware woudl i need would it be one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Official-A...QQcmdZViewItem
If you are going to do that then just get an iMac for the same price. It is more powerful as well and more bang for your buck. Getting a laptop and doing that kind of thing defeats the purpose of the portability of it.
QUOTE Thanks
timboellis
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sursuciofla
If you are going to do that then just get an iMac for the same price. It is more powerful as well and more bang for your buck. Getting a laptop and doing that kind of thing defeats the purpose of the portability of it.
Yeah I see your point but I was offered this Ibook for very much cheepness so I got it , but will use it for out of the office as well, becuase if i keep it besidemy pc i am sure i will nto use it as much
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by timboellis
Yeah I see your point but I was offered this Ibook for very much cheepness so I got it , but will use it for out of the office as well, becuase if i keep it besidemy pc i am sure i will nto use it as much
Well then by all means do that, I don't see a problem with it. My motto is computers are made to be used so I use them :black: You can't really predict when a computer will just give out and die.

Yes, your monitor will work with it and if your mouse and keyboard are usb or bluetooth and you have bluetooth then those will work as well.
QUOTE Thanks
Harryc
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

You may also want to consider using ScreenSpanning Doctor to get higher than 1024x768 on your monitor.

http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html
QUOTE Thanks
Ghostshadow

 
Ghostshadow's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 21, 2005
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 2,073
Ghostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook G3 - You'll be missed.

Ghostshadow is offline
i just wanted to say, im using my g3 ibook as my main machine because my pc's PSU died on me about 4 weeks ago, and there is no problems what so ever the ibook is on 24/7 hooked to the monitor and mouse.. so there should be no problem with using the ibook as your main machine.

QUOTE Thanks
timboellis
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Do i have to use ScreenSpanning Doctor as not keen on doing this
QUOTE Thanks
thermidor

 
Member Since: Feb 28, 2005
Location: Bagshot, Surrey, UK
Posts: 198
thermidor will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB

thermidor is offline
How about a Powerbook - I have used one as my main machine for about a year, I don't use an external monitor or kb but just use a Bluetooth mouse. Who needs a desktop?
QUOTE Thanks
Harryc
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by timboellis
Do i have to use ScreenSpanning Doctor as not keen on doing this
If you do not use it, you will be limited to 1024x768 resolution on your external monitor. It's up to you about whether or not that is acceptable.
QUOTE Thanks
timboellis
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryc
If you do not use it, you will be limited to 1024x768 resolution on your external monitor. It's up to you about whether or not that is acceptable.
Cool thats more than enough will get a dv to vga adaprter just now.

and am i right in saying that the ibook screen will stay on the same time as the exteral miontor
QUOTE Thanks
BigBear

 
BigBear's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 18, 2005
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 435
BigBear has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: ibook G4 14in

BigBear is offline
you are correct. and from the coutless threads i've read, you do not want to use the spanning hack and then close the lid of the ibook.
i'm using my g4 ibook as my main machine. i've got an external mouse and all my other goodies hooked up at my desk. the ibook works great for me as both a portable and desktop replacement.


my apple is bling *tisk tisk, you shouldn't have any bling.. just nice things*
QUOTE Thanks
mangoSharingan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

I do this sometimes when I want to use my external TFT to play games instead. You don't need anything other than the VGA-mini DVI adapter provided with your iBook.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« exe files | 12in vs. 14in display »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
I can't get my iBook to network with my XP machine JBarbier Internet, Networking, and Wireless 1 08-15-2005 08:18 AM
ibook nightmare! shahid Apple Notebooks 9 07-30-2005 01:27 AM
Might possibly come back to iBook, lots of questions! JSchultz Apple Notebooks 12 03-20-2005 11:05 PM
Go Apple, Go Applr, Go Baby go... ByzantineRemnant Apple Notebooks 2 01-03-2005 09:15 PM
New to Mac: what to get 12.1" or 14.1" iBook? Fikr Switcher Hangout 6 05-10-2004 05:10 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?