New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Pro to Macbook Air Downgrade or Upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mrblue

mrblue is an unknown at this point

I have a macbook pro 13", late 2009 model I think, it has 2.26ghz, 2gb ram and backlit keyboard.

Im interested in getting a macbook air 13", just wondering if this will be a downgrade or an upgrade.

Will the air perform near the same as a pro or will it perform like a dreaded netbook. Do they overheat

I do alot of video conversions with visualhub and will prob buy a external superdrive but thats not a problem

Any advice would be great.
QUOTE Thanks
wolfpuppies3

wolfpuppies3 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11 MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini

No cooling problems with the Air whatsoever, remember it has no HDD! Because mine has a 256 gig SDD and a dual core 1.8 MH i7 processor it is lightening quick.
QUOTE Thanks
mhockey91

mhockey91 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15 inch 2.0 ghz i7 500 gb hd 4 gb ram

no getting a macbook air is not a downgrade at all from a 2009 macbook pro dont forget that it has an ssd and has the new sandy bridge i5 (or i7) processor that has hyper threading so that when it needs to the os sees it as 4 cores and turbo boast so that the high end i7 can clock up to 2.7 ghz but if your going to be doing lots of video work get the macbook pro

hope this helps
QUOTE Thanks
paliknight

paliknight is on a distinguished road

ive actually joined this question to research more about the MBA. i dont want to put down 1700 and regret it. i know the hardware is great, but the video card is horrible imo for being integrated. i am afraid i would have problems with HD video. (not editing, viewing)
QUOTE Thanks
aestheticxxlove

aestheticxxlove will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" Mid 2009 4GB 500GB 7200RPM, Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2010 8GB 750GB 7200RPM, iPhone 4

If your going to buy other products for the MBA to work like a MBP then you are better off just getting the MBP so you don't need to carry more around with you than need be. I have heard that the MBA is faster than the MBP but you lose utilities.
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
ive actually joined this question to research more about the MBA. i dont want to put down 1700 and regret it. i know the hardware is great, but the video card is horrible imo for being integrated. i am afraid i would have problems with HD video. (not editing, viewing)
You wont have issues with playback of the average video on the internet. Even on my brand-new MBP with all the bells and whistles, I go watch full HD video on Vimeo.com, I have not seen anything but the integrated card running. Even at full screen.

Editing and gaming (more than just Flash-based Facebook games), then yes, the integrated card will be detrimental and you will be disappointed.

Always get he best you can afford. You will be less disappointed when the next version comes out.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Air 2 128 GB LTE, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

The OP never mentioned what they would be using it for and what sort of programs they might be running also will giving up the CD/DVD drive and extra ports that are built in the pro going to affect what you do.
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

Actually they did and they mentioned buying an external superdrive as well.

To the OP:
As to the Air being an up/down grade from an older (3 years almost) then the Air would be an upgrade. I highly recommend going in and putting your hands on the machines if at all possible. Photos and text only do so much. Putting your eyes and hands on the machines makes a huge difference.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Air 2 128 GB LTE, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
Andres87

Andres87 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckyon View Post

Editing and gaming (more than just Flash-based Facebook games), then yes, the integrated card will be detrimental and you will be disappointed.
Hmmm I have a 2011 MBP with the HD 3000 integrated chip and I can play dirt 2 medium settings at 30 frames per second, also red alert at medium settings, LEGO batman all high, LEGO indiana jones all high and don't forget Left for Dead 2 medium settings at more than 30 frames a second so yeah I wouldn't call that "disappointing".
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook pro wireless connection problems | Help: Macbook with hot air coming out & it doesnt turn on »