New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Question for a "newbie" :)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

NJDeVriese

NJDeVriese is on a distinguished road

I currently have a unibody macbook which I was planning on selling to get a new one but decided to just upgrade her. Might as well; she run great! I do need advice on what to get for memory, processor and hard drive though. Here is a pic of "My Mac" stats. The hard drive is only 120GB! Any info would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm starting Biomed school this upcoming year and just want a blazing fast macbook. Thanks!

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Unfortunately, upgrading the processor is not possible.

If the machine runs great right now, why upgrade it? Now, if you're having a specific problem (like running out of space with the HD), then I might recommend some targeted upgrades. But I wouldn't recommend fixing what isn't broken

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
HelpdeskRules

HelpdeskRules is on a distinguished road

To speed up your Mac (after all that's why most of us upgrade things) you can upgrade several things.

The first thing you can do quite cheaply is upgrade your RAM from 2GB to 4GB - an upgrade from the official Apple store can be expensive but if you buy from an alternative company like Kingston or Crucial then it's a lot cheaper.

The next thing you can do is upgrade your hard disk drive (this will mean you'll need to re-install your OS and all other software).

When it comes to the hard disk drive it's not just the size but the speed of the disk that is important. Most laptop SATA hard drives run at 5400rpm as standard. You can get slightly faster hard drives that run at 7200rpm. Most recently you can now get SSD hard drives that are extremely fast but have a price tag to match! You can also get hybrid drives that have the standard SATA hard disk with a small amount of SSD in them where all the most commonly accessed files are automatically copied on to SSD section for you making it nice and fast!

Another upgrade you can look at is installing Lion.

I have a 13" Unibody MacBook 2GHz Core 2 Duo and I have upgraded the RAM to 4GB and swapped the hard disk for a 500GB 7200rpm drive that has some anti-shock protection built in to it.

If you have the money then getting an SSD hard drive will make the most difference to your Mac experience with boot times even quicker than they are now!

My Personal WebSite: www.helpdeskrules.co.uk - Follow me on Twitter: @helpdeskrules
QUOTE Thanks
NJDeVriese

NJDeVriese is on a distinguished road

Thankyou HelpdeskRules! I always wanted to get an SSD drive and then just get an external harddrive for files. Your advice is greatly appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDeVriese View Post
Thankyou HelpdeskRules! I always wanted to get an SSD drive and then just get an external harddrive for files. Your advice is greatly appreciated!
Just be sure to look before you leap as not all SSDs are created equal. Also, the SSDs on the market today, despite being much improved from their predecessors, are still very much a nascent product.

Before you plunk down a healthy sum, make sure you know the specific model's caveats in terms of throughput, compatibility with OS X, MTBF, wear-leveling algorithms, TRIM support and compatibility with your particular Mac's hardware.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I personally would not buy a SSD drive from anyone but OWC at this point in time.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Daisy Chain External HD's? | I have been hacked. »