New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

keyboard typing nos instead of letters on Macbook pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

skaap

skaap is on a distinguished road

I use a 2007 MBP. I was using gmail this morning, when suddenly was unable to type any letters. A few, slow random numbers were displayed instead. (no nos lock on).
The same happened with mac mail, Safari, Chrome and Firefox - 2 or 3 numbers appeared instead of the text I tried to type, in the search or url bars.
I restarted and well, I'm now typing this message.

Only new software on the computer is from over a week ago when I installed a free trial version of MacKeeper (is it worth having btw?) but surely if it were that, it would have caused the problem some time ago?

any ideas on what could have caused this and what to do about it? thank you
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

What operating system are you running?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

MacKeeper = bad, horrible software. Get rid of it immediately.

As for the numbers-not-letters problem, try pressing the "num lock" key on your keyboard (otherwise known as F6) and see if that doesn't fix things.
QUOTE Thanks
skaap

No, I definitely didn't have nos lock/F6 on - on my MBP it's right at the top and small so out of the way.
The OS is 10.6.8 Snow Leopard installed May 2010

I will get rid of Mackeeper.

Restarting solved the issue, but wondered what had caused the issue in the first place as it's never happened before. thanks
QUOTE Thanks
skaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
MacKeeper = bad, horrible software. Get rid of it immediately.

As for the numbers-not-letters problem, try pressing the "num lock" key on your keyboard (otherwise known as F6) and see if that doesn't fix things.
It won't 'drop and drag to trash' delete - how do I get rid of mackeeper please?
I was an idiot to install it in the first place.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Let me google that for you
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I have been hacked. | USB current overdraw with only cord connected in MacBook »