New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

gainsaver a good site?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

supermac96

supermac96 is on a distinguished road

I am looking into buying a used macbook and was wondering if gainsaver.com was a good, legit, reputable website than has good reviews or is it known for bad service or something?
QUOTE Thanks
allen12

allen12 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4GHz Intel Core Duo, 4GB RAM, 250GB SATA HDD

The latter (bad service), most likely. If you google Gainsaver, you'll find it has a 7 or 8/10 review average on some sites, but most of the 5-star reviews made were on the same day and the same "writing style". Be cautious.

BBB lists almost 300 customer complaints made in the past 3 years, which is not a good sign for a relatively small company. I also see a multipage thread on other forums dealing with complaints on Gainsaver. Many of the complaints are GS sending a different product than advertised. Then, when asked to exchange, GS either: 1) Takes back the product but doesn't send a new one; 2) Exchanges the item, but sends another irrelevant product; or 3) Doesn't respond when contacted

Tread caution.
QUOTE Thanks
supermac96

supermac96 is on a distinguished road

ok thanks any other good websites for used macbooks?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermac96 View Post
ok thanks any other good websites for used macbooks?
Craig's List...period. Almost all other websites you will pay too much.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
yealf

yealf is on a distinguished road

I had the same bad experience with them.
They contacted me four days after they had told me my order would "ship today"
to tell me the computer had 'failed testing' and they would cancel the order.
I pointed out that they were advertising several other computers that would work for me and they told me they had none of them.
I called my credit card company and was told they had not cancelled the charges. I called Gainsaver back to ask them to cancel the transaction like they said they would, they were very evasive and shady about it. Everyone I spoke to told me they were the wrong person to talk to and one of them, 'Steve Harper' I believe was extremely rude, hung up on me several times.
After my experience with them I googled them and found a torrent of complaints, most of them complaining about non existent computers or having a terrible time getting their money back. From my experience and from what I have read I suspect they are running some sort of scam. Sadly, they requested a photo of my credit card and my driving license 'because my shipping an billing address are different' and I gave it to them. I called my bank back and they recommended cancelling my credit card, they felt there were too many fraud red flags with this company. I hope I get my $2000 back from them.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Might give these people a try, I've bought from them before. Used Macs : Wegener Media - Mac Sales and Service

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
313dude

313dude is on a distinguished road

I have purchased from Wegener Media before and had a great experience.
They do not always have the absolute latest Macs but they seem to be honest about what they sell.
I bought a used 2006 MacBook Pro from Wegener and I got 5 years out of it. Not bad.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 13 RMBP storage issue. | Corrupted .MOV file »