New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Oh No! My MacBook Pro is going crazy!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MinaMACMan

MinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD

Hello Folks,

I bought a brand new MBP at the end of June, things were going sorta well. I had the odd beach ball every now and then but it never lasted to be annoying or indicate serious trouble!

Then yesterday, I plugged my MBP to charge it and noticed the charger isn't turning orange like it is supposed to, also, it said that the battery is "Not Charging". Unplugged, replugged and life with back to normal.

Come today, I forgot to plug it in and the battery was completely drained (no big deal right?) I plugged it in, and MBP powers back on. This time though, it was stuck at 1% and not charging. iStat said it had 638hrs till full charge (WHAT??!!) and then the fans kicked into high gear like there was **** burning within the chassis.

I ended up turning everything off, plugging it and let it be for a while. Now, it's up and running again, charging.

I set up an appointment with the Genius Bar and we'll find out what they say

I am very disappointed at this.

Do y'all have any suggestions?!

Let me know.

Cheers.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I would just take it into Apple like you are planning. For a machine that new, let them sort it out. That is not normal at all.

Do let us know what they find. Good Luck!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

WOW thats not so good on any PC let alone one that in only a Month old .. . . . . BC of those problems i dare say there is more to than a simple fix but all i could suggest is try Resetting PRAM and NVRAM and the SMC . . .

Good luck and let us know ow it goes . .

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

MinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the rough

Hello y'all

Sorry for the late update, but I wanted to have more data for ya.

I went to the Apple store and as expected my MBP was behaving like it should with no issues. The Genius reset the usual stuff, he said sometimes the Power Management get corrupt and resetting is takes care of it.

Now, a couple of weeks later the problem is back and I think I found an interesting source!!!

Get this:

Everything is good and charging with no issues no overheating and then fans kick in high gear, I rebooted and reset the PRAM, NVRAM and SMC and it seemed like we are ok.

Then I started Chrome, which remembered my tab of Netflix where I was watching a show, as soon as it started playing the overheating came back. and the battery wasn't charging!!!

Close that one particular tab... back to normal.

Very reproducible and yet very bizzare!! Any ideas, has anyone seen this before?!
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

ok, one more update!

It seems like the problem is easily replicated with Google Chrome, but with Safari and running the same movie through Netflix everything seems normal... what the ****?!!

doesn't make sense, not one bit!
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

One more :-)

I went to silverlight.net and played one of their "tour" videos. This One

In chrome, this goes nuts. In safari, no issues what so ever!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Well I think you have your answer then. Dump Chrome.
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Well I think you have your answer then. Dump Chrome.
I am guessing someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today?!

Anyone else, with a bit more useful advice?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaMACMan View Post
One more :-)

I went to silverlight.net and played one of their "tour" videos. This One

In chrome, this goes nuts. In safari, no issues what so ever!
By going nuts, what does it do? Overheat? What is showing in Activity Monitor on Chrome when that happens?

And to Chas, Ditching Chrome is not the answer here. Many use it and don't have this issue, so I feel it's something with Mina's machine somehow. Not sure what. I am a Safari fan also but Chrome does not do that here that I have ever seen.
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

Hey dtravis,

when I say it goes nuts:

The battery stops charging. Fans kick into high gear. Magsafe LED turns to green from orange.

Also, if I am plugged in but the battery is already at 100% this doesn't happen. Somehow this only manifest with the following combo:

Chrome, Streaming anything with SilverLight, and charging all at the same time.

If I am running on the battery non of that happens.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Just out of curiosity have you upgraded to Lion or are you still running SL?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

What is bothering me about this is that Apple could not duplicate it and fix it. That Machine is almost brand new and should not be doing that.

Is anyone with a new MBP here using Chrome? If so could you try his URL's and report back? This really sounds like some hardware issue, but I am at a loss why it's only doing it in Chrome. I would do some testing here but I have no Intel Mac Notebook and just the iMac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaMACMan View Post
Hey dtravis,

when I say it goes nuts:

The battery stops charging. Fans kick into high gear. Magsafe LED turns to green from orange.

Also, if I am plugged in but the battery is already at 100% this doesn't happen. Somehow this only manifest with the following combo:

Chrome, Streaming anything with SilverLight, and charging all at the same time.

If I am running on the battery non of that happens.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Chromes obviously over-utilizing your processor when running silverlight. This causes the processor to heat up (your fans kicking onto high), electrical draw to increase (your battery issue). So the culprit is, indeed, chrome. They need to address this with their code more than likely. I'd report it it. Or perhaps uninstall it, reinstall it and see if that's a solution.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

Still hanging out with the Snow Leopard. I had a couple of software conflicts with Lion (now resolved) but I decided to wait till I get through my finals this Friday before I upgrade. I get the upgrade for free anyways, since I bought my MBP less than a month ago.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

btw, the other thing you should do is create a new user account and see if it duplicates on that account.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« upgraded to 8G RAM early 2011 MPB 13' getting random kernel panic.. | Plastic Case On Magsaf Adapter »