New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

10 minute boot on MacBook 1,1 OSX 10.6.. Blue screen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

VickyvG

VickyvG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggstmack View Post
I was having the same problem for 6 weeks with my macbook no fix, and i finally found this and it fixed the problem. I was about to go by a logicboard or a new computer.

Try it, can't hurt anything..

On your hard drive, go to Systems/Library/Extensions folder
Look for any kext file that starts with IOFirewire, copy them to a new folder on your desktop
Delete the files from your extensions folder.
Reboot.
See if it fixes the problem, if so (or not) copy the files back to the Systems/Library/Extensions folder
Go to Disk Utility and Repair Permissions.
Reboot.
Done.
I am very technologically challenged!
Have been experiencing the exact same problem for about 4 weeks now (between 9 and 10 minutes to become operational from powering up)
Spent a fair amount of time without my iMac as I was advised to send it to our local Apple agent for diagnostics and repair.
the first time it was handed back to me after 5 days , no charge, and a report that states that there was no fault found.
Back home, the same old problem!
Back to Apple agent, this time 3 days, a report that states that it is possible that the HD acts up when heated(?). Replaced HD with 1T Seagate Barracuda $120, Repair cost $50.
get home and find I still have the same problem!

Then I find this thread and more specifically this comment.
being as technologically challenged as I am, I tried it in anyway, hoping for the best
AND IT WORKED!!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
QUOTE Thanks
VickyvG

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickyvG View Post
I am very technologically challenged!
Have been experiencing the exact same problem for about 4 weeks now (between 9 and 10 minutes to become operational from powering up)
Spent a fair amount of time without my iMac as I was advised to send it to our local Apple agent for diagnostics and repair.
the first time it was handed back to me after 5 days , no charge, and a report that states that there was no fault found.
Back home, the same old problem!
Back to Apple agent, this time 3 days, a report that states that it is possible that the HD acts up when heated(?). Replaced HD with 1T Seagate Barracuda $120, Repair cost $50.
get home and find I still have the same problem!

Then I find this thread and more specifically this comment.
being as technologically challenged as I am, I tried it in anyway, hoping for the best
AND IT WORKED!!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
Sadly it only worked once!
The 2nd time rebooting, same old ,same old…

Will keep reading and experimenting
QUOTE Thanks
apta

apta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickyvG View Post
Sadly it only worked once!
The 2nd time rebooting, same old ,same old…

Will keep reading and experimenting
Boot up in verbose mode by holding down the Cmd-V keys. You'll then see each command displayed on the screen as the bootup proceeds and may be able to tell where stalls happen.
QUOTE Thanks
VickyvG

Quote:
Originally Posted by apta View Post
Boot up in verbose mode by holding down the Cmd-V keys. You'll then see each command displayed on the screen as the bootup proceeds and may be able to tell where stalls happen.
Thank you, I will keep this advice in mind. In the meantime I have replaced the HD with a 2Tb drive and at the same time updated the OS to the latest version. The problem seems to have gone away for now! (Although diagnostics on the old HD did not show up any problems)
Who knows???
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« two macbooks | liquid damage to my audio »