New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

10 minute boot on MacBook 1,1 OSX 10.6.. Blue screen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

System Preferences - Startup

Select your OS X partition and reboot - twice. See if that helps.

And disconnect any external devices that may be connected.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Another thing to look at - open your Console (Applications => Utilities) and look through the system log. There should be some information there to at least point you in the direction of what's failing to start properly.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
gwairways

gwairways is on a distinguished road

Okay so i just did the restart twice and still no difference. I also went into console, but i dont really know what im looking for in there.. so i took a screen shot, maybe you guys could make sense of it?

The log should show all the 2 restarts i did.

Also if you cant read the picture here is the text:

Code:
8/5/11 12:47:08 PM	com.apple.launchd[1]	(org.cups.cupsd) Path monitoring failed on "/private/var/spool/cups/cache/org.cups.cupsd": No such file or directory
8/5/11 12:48:20 PM	com.apple.WindowServer[72]	Fri Aug  5 12:48:20 Graham-Williamss-MacBook.local WindowServer[72] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.
8/5/11 12:56:30 PM	com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[107]	(com.apple.ReportCrash) Falling back to default Mach exception handler. Could not find: com.apple.ReportCrash.Self
8/5/11 12:56:39 PM	com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[107]	(com.apple.Kerberos.renew.plist[126]) Exited with exit code: 1
8/5/11 12:56:40 PM	com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[107]	(com.apple.CSConfigDotMacCert-gwairways@me.com-SharedServices[129]) Exited with exit code: 1
8/5/11 12:57:10 PM	com.apple.diskmanagementd[143]	/: no supported helper partitions to update.
8/5/11 12:57:12 PM	com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[107]	(com.apple.AirPortBaseStationAgent[128]) Exited: Killed
8/5/11 12:57:51 PM	com.apple.launchd[1]	*** launchd[1] has started up. ***
8/5/11 12:57:54 PM	com.apple.launchd[1]	(org.cups.cupsd) Bug: launchd_core_logic.c:4598 (24498):2
8/5/11 12:57:54 PM	com.apple.launchd[1]	(org.cups.cupsd) Path monitoring failed on "/private/var/spool/cups/cache/org.cups.cupsd": No such file or directory
8/5/11 12:59:06 PM	com.apple.WindowServer[71]	Fri Aug  5 12:59:06 Graham-Williamss-MacBook.local WindowServer[71] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.
8/5/11 1:07:16 PM	com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[112]	(com.apple.ReportCrash) Falling back to default Mach exception handler. Could not find: com.apple.ReportCrash.Self
8/5/11 1:07:23 PM	com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[112]	(com.apple.Kerberos.renew.plist[131]) Exited with exit code: 1
8/5/11 1:07:24 PM	com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[112]	(com.apple.CSConfigDotMacCert-gwairways@me.com-SharedServices[134]) Exited with exit code: 1
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2011-08-05 at 1.13.12 PM.png (918.4 KB, 51 views)
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

No idea if this will do anything, but try turning your airport off and then rebooting.
QUOTE Thanks
gwairways

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDude121 View Post
No idea if this will do anything, but try turning your airport off and then rebooting.
Just tried it, no help.. still a 10 min load.. This is getting so annoying, I just want the mac to work...
QUOTE Thanks
gwairways

Bump... Can anyone make sense of the text above?
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Summarizing:
1. replacement (not new) hard drive, working okay, but no difference
2. replacement RAM, recommended brand, working okay, no difference
3. hardware analysis with Disk Utility, no difference
4. no issues found with OnyX and permissions repair
5. safe mode startup, boots faster (with some variation).

The console message suggests the boot sector of the hard drive is malfunctioning (although I don't pretend to understand everything that's listed). A Mac starts up by checking the physical state of the hard drive. It then proceeds to load a series or sequence of OS software, followed by applications, libraries, etc. The reason Safe mode gets the job done faster is because it disables quite a large chunk of OS software.

The nearly ten minute period suggests that the startup process is getting snagged on the very first hardware part. So, how to fix it?

In your situation I would fork out for a brand new drive, don't pinch pennies. If you want a drive brand recommendation, simply ask here, or search the hardware forums. Reinstall the OS, and take it from there.

Something else you can try - disable Spotlight, even temporarily. Open SysPrefs > Spotlight, and uncheck all the options. Then reboot.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
gwairways

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
Summarizing:
1. replacement (not new) hard drive, working okay, but no difference
2. replacement RAM, recommended brand, working okay, no difference
3. hardware analysis with Disk Utility, no difference
4. no issues found with OnyX and permissions repair
5. safe mode startup, boots faster (with some variation).

The console message suggests the boot sector of the hard drive is malfunctioning (although I don't pretend to understand everything that's listed). A Mac starts up by checking the physical state of the hard drive. It then proceeds to load a series or sequence of OS software, followed by applications, libraries, etc. The reason Safe mode gets the job done faster is because it disables quite a large chunk of OS software.

The nearly ten minute period suggests that the startup process is getting snagged on the very first hardware part. So, how to fix it?

In your situation I would fork out for a brand new drive, don't pinch pennies. If you want a drive brand recommendation, simply ask here, or search the hardware forums. Reinstall the OS, and take it from there.

Something else you can try - disable Spotlight, even temporarily. Open SysPrefs > Spotlight, and uncheck all the options. Then reboot.

Awesome, okay ill go and try the spotlight and let you know how that turns out.

But here is why i still have doubts that it is a hard drive issue.. When i have the original OSX 10.4 installed the computer starts as it should and at a normal speed. Its only when i install OSX that the computer takes SO long to start.

Another reason im leaning towards a software and not a hardware issue is before when i had the older hard drive in, the system took 9 minutes and 25 seconds to start with a 5 second buffer.. This is very accurate and always took this long. After this new hard drive the computer still takes the same 9 min 25 seconds to start with a 5 second buffer. You would think that there would at least be a little bit of a difference but there wasnt.

So what i am thinking it could be is some kind of software issue being held up by my computer because it a older model and OSX 10.6 wasnt made for this model. Only thing that is making me think otherwise of this is there are other people iv seen with the same computer running osx 10.6 fine.

Just to clarify where the computer is getting held up. I start the computer, hear the chime, then it turns to the apple logo. It will stay there for a maybe one minute then it turns to a blue screen. Ill wait at the blue screen for the remainder of the time then my login panel will show up, or if i have auto login on it will just log in.. Iv also noticed that when i log out of my mac to change users, it takes about 10 minutes to get the the login screen again.. I dont know if that is helpful but i figured id mention it.
QUOTE Thanks
gwairways

Okay, tried turning off, or un-checking, all the spotlight, and it didnt change anything..
QUOTE Thanks
gwairways

Here another console report from boot.

Code:
8/7/11 4:36:39 PM com.apple.launchd[1] *** launchd[1] has started up. ***
8/7/11 4:36:42 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (org.cups.cupsd) Bug: launchd_core_logic.c:4598 (24498):2
8/7/11 4:36:42 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (org.cups.cupsd) Path monitoring failed on "/private/var/spool/cups/cache/org.cups.cupsd": No such file or directory
8/7/11 4:37:55 PM com.apple.WindowServer[72] Sun Aug  7 16:37:55 Graham-Williamss-MacBook.local WindowServer[72] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.
8/7/11 4:46:19 PM com.apple.launchctl.Aqua[109] launchctl: Please convert the following to launchd: /etc/mach_init_per_user.d/RemoteUI.plist
8/7/11 4:46:19 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[107] (com.apple.RemoteUI) Conflict with job: 0x102b50.mach_init.Front Row over Mach service: com.apple.RemoteUI
8/7/11 4:46:19 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[107] (com.apple.ReportCrash) Falling back to default Mach exception handler. Could not find: com.apple.ReportCrash.Self
8/7/11 4:46:27 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[107] (com.apple.Kerberos.renew.plist[129]) Exited with exit code: 1
8/7/11 4:46:28 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[107] (com.apple.CSConfigDotMacCert-gwairways@me.com-SharedServices[132]) Exited with exit code: 1

Heres my notes of the boot:

4:35pm - shut down computer
4:36pm - Turn on computer
- 0:10 seconds into start the apple logo shows up and the spinning wheel thing
- 1:22 into start the screen turns white
- 1:25 into start the screen tunrs blue

4:46pm - login screen pops up ( 9:24 after hitting start)
- 9:44 after start, i logged in.

Here is another thing i noticed, when the screen is blue, i pressed a bunch of keys on the keyboard to see if the screen is actually loaded and maybe it is just displaying blue.. Sure enough after the login screen appeared the 'password' box had all sorts of keys put into it. So i believe that the OS is started, just something is holding up the screen from showing it.

After looking at the console report i think this may be the problem.
Code:
8/7/11 4:37:55 PM com.apple.WindowServer[72] Sun Aug  7 16:37:55 Graham-Williamss-MacBook.local WindowServer[72] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.

What are your guys thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Blue screen indicates the OS libraries etc being loaded after the boot sector has been verified.

When you reinstalled the OS (whichever version) did you do a 'clean' install, ie. completely erase the hard drive? If not, that needs to be done. Disk Utility will guide you through the process once you've booted from the Install disk. Select the option that does the most thorough job of erasing the HD of absolutely everything, AND passing over any faulty sectors on the HD.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
gwairways

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
Blue screen indicates the OS libraries etc being loaded after the boot sector has been verified.

When you reinstalled the OS (whichever version) did you do a 'clean' install, ie. completely erase the hard drive? If not, that needs to be done. Disk Utility will guide you through the process once you've booted from the Install disk. Select the option that does the most thorough job of erasing the HD of absolutely everything, AND passing over any faulty sectors on the HD.
Yes, both with my old hard drive, I did a clean install to my older OSX 10.4 then upgraded to SL.

Then with this new hard drive I got, I had to partition the drive so I assumed it was completely empty... If I need too re-install the OS and completely clear off the hard drive again I will.

Also, maybe if you guys think it would help, I can clear off the hard drive, install my old OS 10.4 (which has no startup problems at all) then upgrade to SL. This wouldn't be the first time iv done this in general, but would be the fist time iv done it on the new hard drive... Just if you guys think it would help..

It just confuses me because I just started the computer and while waiting on the blue screen I typed in my password and hit enter.. Then after the blue screen went away the login panel showed up and was already logging me in. So it just backs up what I said before, the OS is running in the background... This to me almost points to a screen problem, but when I have the old OS installed it logs right in.... And it logs right in in safe mode... So the screen isn't the issue... Just some kind of software issue
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwairways View Post
Yes, both with my old hard drive, I did a clean install to my older OSX 10.4 then upgraded to SL.

Then with this new hard drive I got, I had to partition the drive so I assumed it was completely empty... If I need too re-install the OS and completely clear off the hard drive again I will.

Also, maybe if you guys think it would help, I can clear off the hard drive, install my old OS 10.4 (which has no startup problems at all) then upgrade to SL. This wouldn't be the first time iv done this in general, but would be the fist time iv done it on the new hard drive... Just if you guys think it would help..

It just confuses me because I just started the computer and while waiting on the blue screen I typed in my password and hit enter.. Then after the blue screen went away the login panel showed up and was already logging me in. So it just backs up what I said before, the OS is running in the background... This to me almost points to a screen problem, but when I have the old OS installed it logs right in.... And it logs right in in safe mode... So the screen isn't the issue... Just some kind of software issue
Out of curiosity, why are you installing the old OS and then upgrading to Snow Leopard?
The Snow Leopard retail set is a full OS and doesn't require that. You can do a clean install straight to Snow leopard.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
gwairways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
Out of curiosity, why are you installing the old OS and then upgrading to Snow Leopard?
The Snow Leopard retail set is a full OS and doesn't require that. You can do a clean install straight to Snow leopard.

Well at this point I have tried both in a effort to see if I'm missing drivers for the mac or something. The last install I had on the computer was a 100% fresh install of only OSX 10.6 and it made no difference. At this point I'm reinstalling the old OS (so I can get iWork, iPhoto and such) then upgrading to OSX 10.6. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will work, but this is the 4th or 5th time iv had to reinstall the OS so I don't think anything will change.

When I get everything back up and installed I'm going to do a restart with console on, then compare it to a restart in safe mode and see what is actually turning on and working. Maybe then I'll be able to see exactly what the problem is...

In the mean time, if anyone has seen this issue before and knows a solution for it please let me know.
QUOTE Thanks
Jack K

Jack K is on a distinguished road

I am following your thread intently because I am having the exact same issue as you after my 10.4 > 10.6 upgrade. I am on a G5 Tower though. wish I had some insight for you, but at this point I just keep restarting and walking away for 9 and a half min.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« two macbooks | liquid damage to my audio »