New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Refirb 2011 MBP 15 i7

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AppleRecords

AppleRecords is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 Macbook Pro 17 inch 16gigs RAM i7 - iPhone 6 Plus - 27 inch Thunderbolt Display - iPad Air 2

Does anyone have any experience with refirbished MacBook Pros? Just wanted a first hand account of someone that has owned one past a few years.

I was working for someone doing video editing and I was working on a 2008 white MacBook but it wasn't really condusive to a fast paced editing environment. So they bought me a 2011 MBP 13 i5 and it was awesome. Everything was super fast, best computer I've ever used ect ect ect.

But they fired my ***, so I have to give the computer back.

So instead of spending all the $ and getting the same computer I went refirb and bumped up to the 15 inch with the i7 for a few hundred more instead of like almost $1000 more. Which at first glance appears to be the right deal.

So has anyone purchased a 2011 refirb? or any refirb at all? Anyone own a 15 inch i7 and have problems where they've had to make an exchange? Just want to be proactive in case anything peculiar pops up.

Edit: Oh yeah and the description only said "quad core i7" not "quad core Intel i7" does that mean it's not Intel or it was just a mistake on Apple's part bc the same one says Intel now. Stupid question I know but just thought I'd ask.
QUOTE Thanks
whitehorse84

whitehorse84 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" 2.4ghz i5 Macbook Pro

it will be intel.

I personally don't own one, but a co-worker bought a 15" 2010 macbook pro refurb and is super happy with it. I'm going to do that for my next purchase.
QUOTE Thanks
geraint84

geraint84 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook pro 2011 17 sandybridge

refurb products from the apple store have a full warranty, and you very rarely here of people having issues. you will be fine, enjoy your new machine!

int main () { cout << "Hello World!"; return 0; }
QUOTE Thanks
AppleRecords

Mac Specs: 2011 Macbook Pro 17 inch 16gigs RAM i7 - iPhone 6 Plus - 27 inch Thunderbolt Display - iPad Air 2

Thanks you thank you, puts my mind at ease a bit. Definitely seems smart to at least do a compare and contrast between new and refurb but you don't get any other deals when you get a refurb product, such as $100 app cards, educational ect. which is fine bc it's a big enough price reduction already.

2 replies with 84 in the user name in a row, should I deduce both of yous were born in 84? I am too. Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
AppleRecords

Wanted to give a update to this thread. The 15 inch got here super fast. Ordered on a Wednesday and it got here on Friday. Amazing.

The computer came in a non official apple box, just a white box. Inside was a slide out rectangle box with all the charger and stuff.

The computer itself looks flawless, was flawless upon starting up also. The charger is great, it's brand new I think.

I haven't noticed a huge difference or much difference at all between my 2011 13 inch i5 and this 2011 15 inch i7. The machine seemed equally as fast to me so far, I did get bogged down a little bit running migrant assistant, photoshop, and safari but I guess that could be expected. The only pain is that I used Migrant Assistant to move over a backup off my external from my other computer and it locked a bunch of files so now when I bring them over after they were transfered I have to unlock like 200 fonts ect.

Anyone have a better method that will just make the back up I did for the new computer take over as the current user?

Other than those minor things, so far I would highly recommend checking out the refurb section of apple.com before you buy a new Mac. The prices won't be as good as used elsewhere but buying Apple official refurb your getting a year warranty and the opportunity to buy 3 more years of Apple Care. The machine I received has been great, the 15 inch dwarfs my old 13 inch more than i thought, i can only imagine what the 2011 17 inch feels like.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook 2010 Unibody (Some) Keys Not Working | I've made a boo boo »