Exclamation Is Now (July 2011) a bad time to purchase macbook pro??
    Im in the process of getting a macbook pro 13" as i need a new laptop and was really keen to switch to a mac.

But im worried now that a new one will come out at the same price very soon. Any thoughts???

Many Thanks

Tom

Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by 00gillt View Post
    Im in the process of getting a macbook pro 13" as i need a new laptop and was really keen to switch to a mac.

But im worried now that a new one will come out at the same price very soon. Any thoughts???

Many Thanks

Tom
    Unlikely, as the MBPs were refreshed in Feb this year. There are rumors as to a new 15inch model similar to the MBAs by the end of the year, but since you are looking at 13inch that shouldn't be a concern.

Regardless, computers are always being upgraded. The old advice is still the best advice, if you need one buy one. If you wait for the latest it's like waiting for tomorrow (which never comes) and you'll never buy anything.

EDIT: As always I suggest taking a looking in the Apple Refurb section. You can generally save hundreds of dollars on like new machines. Here's an example:

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.3GHz dual-core Intel i5 $1019 ($180 savings)
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC...co=MTA4MzM3NDA
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Well, we never truly know when the MBP will be refreshed.

The last three refresh's have come 10 months apart from one another:
    June 2009 -> April 2010 -> February 2011

So if recent history repeats itself we should expect a refresh around December-January. Although I feel that this fall/winter the focus for apple is the iPhone, iPad and iOS...it wouldn't surprise me to see a MBP line refresh closer to February/May 2012. Additionally, there have been rumours that Apple is creating a MBA-like 15" notebook, which too might push a MBP refresh later.

My point is that nobody really knows when apple will refresh their lines, so you have to ask yourself: Can I wait until Apple refreshes? (not knowing officially when they will release). Or can you live with buying now and enjoying the greatness of a MBP until then.

You are lucky, you are buying at a time when a future technology has just been introduced to the MBP line (Thunderbolt). Therefore, even if you buy now you will not be left far behind because you have a technology that isn't really being used now, but will be in the future.

Here is a link to help you decide for this purchase and any future purchases Mac Buyer's Guide

Hope this helps.

-bentharbour
     15" MBPr (2012): 2.3Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD  24" Apple Cinema Display  iPhone 5 16GB Black  iPad 2 16GB White

+1 Razormac...more good advice.
     15" MBPr (2012): 2.3Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD  24" Apple Cinema Display  iPhone 5 16GB Black  iPad 2 16GB White

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    Note: Thread moved here. Does not belong in "Rumors and Reports". Please read our forum descriptions and Sticky notices before posting.

Thread Information