New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MBA w/SSD How Much Room?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

maciphone

maciphone is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" 2010 MBP i7, 8GB - 500GB @ 7200, OS: 10.6.4, hi-res - antiglare.

After searching the forum, I could not find the answer

How much available space is remaining on a new MBA that comes with the 128 GB SSD?

I'd like to know, after unboxing your new 128GB SSD equipped MacBook Air, how much usable space remains on the SSD, before installing any software.

Due to the fact that is' a secondary mac laptop for me, I'd like to keep my purchase price / out of pocket expense low.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
StMFA

StMFA will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2011 27in iMac i5 3.1GHz, AMD 6970, iPhone 4, Wi-Fi iPad 2

Interesting question. I'd figure you'll have between 100-110 out of the box. Nothing installed, etc.
QUOTE Thanks
maciphone

maciphone is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" 2010 MBP i7, 8GB - 500GB @ 7200, OS: 10.6.4, hi-res - antiglare.

I had an idea it would be about that size, but I would like to know exactly, if anyone would be so kind as to check theirs.

Thanks all
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

On a new MBA with a 128GB SSD specification, there is 121GB that is available for use. There is also a 655MB recovery partition that is not included in that 121GB figure. I have no idea how much space, out of the 121GB, that the OS takes up as I migrated the data from my previous system and thus never inspected the MBA with only an OS installed.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
Bob_Stan

Bob_Stan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.5 Ghz Quad Core i7,SSD,3TB Fusio Fusion,32GB . MBPro 2.2Ghz 128GB SSD, 500GB HD, 8GB

Rats - I just got a Macbook Pro in that configuration but didn't really record the actual available space. My (poor) memory indicates it was somewhere between 100 and 110 with only lion installed.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

If you go into Disk Utility and select the drive, shown under the name of the hard drive, it will detail amount of space used and amount remaining. On a Mac Pro Lion takes up some 18GB of room. That indicates you would have some 100GB or so left as Bob Stan explained.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mbp stuck on white apple screen!!!:( | SSD install »