New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

US vs UK MacBook Pro Purchase

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

marshallamp

marshallamp is on a distinguished road

Hi - being Scottish and therefore in dire need of some decent weather, we're planning a vacation in LA next month and at the same time, are considering replacing a stolen MacBook with a Pro version whilst in California.

Having checked online prices for the 15-inch 2.2 GHZ Sandy Bridge flavor, it appears that we could save over 500 GBP (that's roughly 830 bucks - shocking, I know) by making a purchase stateside. For the record the prices in USD are as follows: $2,199 vs $3,029.

My question is this: are there any downsides to owning a machine that is built for the US market but used exclusively in the UK? I'm expecting there will be voltage issues and sales tax implications amongst others so would much appreciate your input and/or solutions - thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

THere will be no voltage issues, all modern macs come with a switchable power supply that detects the voltage and adapts accordingly. All you need is a US to UK plug adaptor, or you could buy a new UK adaptor off ebay - they are pretty cheap (,ake sure its an 80 watt type)

As for VAT, simply unpackage the mac and bring it back in your hand luggage, after all is a gift to yourself and not a business import for resale in the uk

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
marshallamp

Thanks, louishen - that's the answer I wanted.
QUOTE Thanks
dark destroyer

dark destroyer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.1-OCZ SDD, iPhone 5, iPad 2, iPod Nano6G, MacBook Air 4.2

Just remember that the UK website includes vat, whilst the US site does not include state sates tax ... and I think LA is around 8%
QUOTE Thanks
Diamondback

Diamondback is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mid 2010 15" MBP 2.53GHz i5, 8GB RAM, 500GB HD @ 7200 rpm, Hi-Res AG Screen; OSX 10.7.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark destroyer View Post
Just remember that the UK website includes vat, whilst the US site does not include state sates tax ... and I think LA is around 8%
Actually, the Apple US Online Store does include state sales tax if Apple has a presence in that state ( which is most states in the US).

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
dark destroyer

dark destroyer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.1-OCZ SDD, iPhone 5, iPad 2, iPod Nano6G, MacBook Air 4.2

that's strange because I just paid U$531 for an 16 gig iPad 2 listed as U$499 on the website ... and I bought it in Orlando (where Apple has a massive presence)
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
Actually, the Apple US Online Store does include state sales tax if Apple has a presence in that state ( which is most states in the US).

Mark
Sales tax is only calculated at sale in the US. Mostly because it IS location based. This varies from VAT, where it's part of the posted price.

What this means, is that people who aren't used to sales tax need to be prepared for the price to go up at the point of sale (online or retail store)

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
marshallamp

Thanks for all your responses and for clarifying the position on VAT vs Sales Tax.
QUOTE Thanks
xxmacbethxx

xxmacbethxx is on a distinguished road

what about the differance in the superdrive? pal vs ntsc and dvd regions?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Not a problem. The superdrive will play either and the region can be set up to 5 times.
QUOTE Thanks
iHarrison

iHarrison can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallamp View Post
My question is this: are there any downsides to owning a machine that is built for the US market but used exclusively in the UK?
UK keyboard: Shift+3 =

US keyboard: Shift+3 = #

That's about it, really...
QUOTE Thanks
iHarrison

iHarrison can only hope to improve

Oh, actually, in all seriousness; you might need to change the localisation settings on AirPort if it doesn't auto-detect that it's receiving signals from British WiFi networks, but that's the only semi-significant issue I can think of...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Does 'Digital Out' on a MacBook bypass the sound card? | Screen brightness not consistant »