New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

New Hard Drive for 15" MBP (Late '08 Model)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

.Bennett

.Bennett is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 1.7GHz i7 4GB 256GB, iPhone 4S 32GB, iPad 2 16GB

Picked up a cheap ($400) 15" MBP from late '08. Has 4GB of RAM and a 250GB HD currently. I'd like to go 500GB at least on the upgrade.

However, I'd like to do this in the next day or two and can't really order anything online. I bought a 1TB WD My Passport 3.0 and opened it up but is a different connection from the computer to the drive.

My question is, does anyone know of a hard drive I can buy in-store that will work with this MacBook? Is the 3.0 my problem? My friend bought a 2.0 500GB two months ago and it connected fine (also a WD My Passport). Let me know, thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
kylekling

kylekling will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Late 08 Unibody Macbook Pro 15'', Hitachi 500gb 7k500, 8gb Ram - better than new

Having this same model myself, this model has sata2 hardware. Originally when I just upgraded to 500gb I got a WD blue but found the constant noise intolerable. I installed the hdapm fix and it was better, but in less than a month, I just got back from local tech store who had a Hitachi 500gb travelstar 7k500 7200rpm on sale for $59. I just cloned and installed new drive and it rocks - boot time 41 seconds/from button push to dock. I wait for nothing on this now with my 8gb ram. Anyway, most computer stores should have the hitachi. The hitachi uses nearly the same amount of power at 7200 rpm that the WD does at 5400 - hitachi is what was shipped from the factory and I can understand why now.

Awesome deal you just got - if I could find another one of these for $400 I'd grab it in a second!

Thanks MacForums members - through the collective help of everyone, we all stand to gain.
QUOTE Thanks
.Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylekling View Post
Having this same model myself, this model has sata2 hardware. Originally when I just upgraded to 500gb I got a WD blue but found the constant noise intolerable. I installed the hdapm fix and it was better, but in less than a month, I just got back from local tech store who had a Hitachi 500gb travelstar 7k500 7200rpm on sale for $59. I just cloned and installed new drive and it rocks - boot time 41 seconds/from button push to dock. I wait for nothing on this now with my 8gb ram. Anyway, most computer stores should have the hitachi. The hitachi uses nearly the same amount of power at 7200 rpm that the WD does at 5400 - hitachi is what was shipped from the factory and I can understand why now.

Awesome deal you just got - if I could find another one of these for $400 I'd grab it in a second!
Thanks for the help but I'm stuck with big box retailers such as best buy, staples, walmart etc. Need something from a chain retail location if possible
QUOTE Thanks
kylekling

Mac Specs: Late 08 Unibody Macbook Pro 15'', Hitachi 500gb 7k500, 8gb Ram - better than new

Best buy should have it - i'd make sure you get the right hdd vs. 'whatever-is-available' supply..edit for right link: here - hitachi 7200 rpm drive 7k500

Thanks MacForums members - through the collective help of everyone, we all stand to gain.
QUOTE Thanks
.Bennett

Quote:
Best buy should have it - i'd make sure you get the right hdd vs. 'whatever-is-available' supply..edit for right link: here - hitachi 7200 rpm drive 7k500
Dear gawd, $90 for a 500GB? I bought the 1TB tonight for $89. WTF lol. Maybe I can wait

Edit: And I'm supposed to be picking up an i5 15" MBP from mid 2010 for $600 on Saturday. Hopefully dude doesn't flake
QUOTE Thanks
kylekling

Did you check and see how thick that drive is? If it's a 12mm it won't fit very well into the Macbook Pro... In fact, there are no 1tb drives currently that will...

QUOTE Thanks
.Bennett

Quote:
Did you check and see how thick that drive is? If it's a 12mm it won't fit very well into the Macbook Pro... In fact, there are no 1tb drives currently that will...
So I tried the Seagate Free Agent Go Flex 500GB (you worried me on the size of the drive so I went 500) for $50. It has the right connection because the adapter (2.0, 3.0) is removable.

The drive was too big for the bay as it sat but I removed two of the stability screws on the side of the drive and the two rubber feet on the edge of the casing within the bay. Fits like a glove now and I'm 95% sure the 1TB would fit as well as there is still some clearance height wise.

I appreciate the help and I ended up with a 500 for $50 so I'm happy
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is this a good deal? | Battery Help!!! »