New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

macbook pro 13" - fan(s) run high, computer seems slow

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MAcsSNAcs

MAcsSNAcs is on a distinguished road

I just got a used (only 2 months old) macbook pro 13", and have noticed that the fan(s) seem to be always running on high.

Specs:
Intel core i5
2.3 GHz
4GB RAM

When checked with Fan Control, one fan shows 6200 RPM and the other shows -1 !?! The temp shows 35 C, so it's definitely not too hot.

Activity Monitor shows under System Processes that 'kernel_task' is using ~326% of CPU, and the CPU usage graph at the bottom shows just a big red band with only a little black at the top. User:~ 0.5%, System: ~80%, Idle: ~20%.

Do I have a broken fan, and the other is just over compensating?

This is the case whether I'm running any programs or not. Just after startup, the fan comes on (I'm assuming it's just one fan because both Fan Control and iStat Pro show only one fan spinning).

Any thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

MBP 13's have one fan MBP 15/17's have two.
Does it run high fan with all apps closed.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Those fan control apps may be causing your fan to run unnecessarily high. The fans in a Mac do not need to be adjusted. They are optimized to control temperature inside your Mac and making them run higher than their default settings is not wise.

If you find that all apps are closed (quit them with Command+Q) and fans are still running high, try Reset SMC.

I repeat, whatever you do, once you get the fan issue resolved, do not change the default fan settings.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
MAcsSNAcs

is there a way to lower the fan speed? some app I can install? Right now it's running at 6200 RPM all the time
QUOTE Thanks
MAcsSNAcs

The fan was running high before the app was installed. I've tried the SMC reset several times, and installed all software updates.

iStat Pro desktop widget tells me the same things anyway, so I'll uninstall Fan Control. I didn't use it to change anything, just to view what's going on.

Any ideas about the 'kernel_task' that looks like it's at over 300% CPU usage?
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Kernel_task process taking up an inordinate amount of CPU | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews
QUOTE Thanks
MAcsSNAcs

That looks like a lot of work, but thanks anyway!
QUOTE Thanks
xxmacbethxx

xxmacbethxx is on a distinguished road

did you upgrade to lion? because when i did mine (same version as yours) started to run hot fan on high and felt sluggish
QUOTE Thanks
MAcsSNAcs

Nope. Still OSX 10.6 or something Leopard?

I'm going to and Apple store next week. Hopefully they can sort it out. I've read that reinstalling the OS can fix it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MBP keys sometimes not responding | Is Now (July 2011) a bad time to purchase macbook pro?? »