Help with updating my MacBook

I have a macbook 2,1 with OS 10.4.11. I haven't updated the system or any software since I bought it 4 years ago. I run Pro Tools and recently Ableton Live (7) on it but recently it's started freezing and not working very well for either program. Pro Tools I constantly get error messages and it sometimes won't even play back tracks - saying the following for example:

The operating system held off interrupts for too long. If this occurs frequently, try inceasing the "H/W Buffer Size' in the playback Engine panel. (--6086)

With Ableton I tend to get the spinning wheel and it freezes and I have to force quit.

I use a 1TB WD external hard drive to record.

My processor is 2.16 GHZ on an Intel Core 2 duo and I have 2GB of memory Bus 667 Mhz DDR SDRAM

Do you think it would be a good idea to update my OS or would that make things worse?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Fort Worth, Texas
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Moved to correct forum. Doesn't really belong in Music.....

Your MacBook is a bit dated and you're running Tiger which is now 3 versions behind the latest Lion. Unfortunately, you can't put any more than 3 GB of memory in that machine, however, I would upgrade to Snow Leopard and max out the memory. That may help to speed things up somewhat. You might also think about installing a faster larger internal hard drive. Perhaps a 500 GB or 650 GB 7200 RPM model.

You'll need the boxed version of Snow Leopard which Amazon has for $119. To get to the 3 GB of memory, you'll need 1 each 2 GB module and 1 each 1 GB module. Check with Other World Computing on the web for memory and hard drives.

Thread Information