New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

constant performance hits on 17" MBP unibody

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

warrengrubb

warrengrubb is on a distinguished road

I have a 17 MBP unibody with the 2.8ghz Core2 duo and 4 gb of RAM and I have this constant lagging that is driving me crazy. I did a complete fresh install and still have the problem.

It's sporadic enough that it is sort of hard to describe, but here is a breakdown of the kind of things that are happening:

There are regular "pauses" in performance- e.g. QuickTime movies will have a stutter in picture every few seconds, iTunes will pause music every few seconds and Chome, Firefox and Safari all stutter when playing videos back in things like Youtube.

Also, little OS things lag a lot of the time, like right clicking to bring up the context menu will either be slow to respond or it will pop up but then not respond to the mouseover, closing instead. Also, simple things like typing in this window will occasionally pause for a second or two and then catch up.

Temperatures look fine and I don't notice any hits to the CPU or drives in Activity Monitor, and using Disk Utility to check the disk shows no problems.

One other potentially important note- the drive failed a month or two ago and I replaced it, and I do occasionally hear a click sound like the drive was asleep and woke up or something, so I am wondering if there is something causing the drives to go bad or if it is a coincidence. I think I was having this sort of problem before it failed, but I can't remember for sure. I replaced the drive with a non-apple drive (I think it was a Hitatchi) but it had the same stats- 5400 rpm and same cache, etc.

thanks for any help. Does anyone know of a great diagnostic tool or am I just best off going to an apple store?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Fan intake? | Transfer/copy files to 2011 MBA from MBP? »