New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

macbook air sound quality

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mattyp

mattyp is on a distinguished road

I've compared INTERNAL speaker sound quality of the new 13" macbook air to the previous gen 13" macbook air and noticed the older version has a punchier/fuller sound. the new gen is more "tinny". has anyone noticed this or can explain?
QUOTE Thanks
rengnath

rengnath is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Air i5 processor w/ Lion OS

Reviews that I have read compared the sound of the old MBA to be very similar, if not the same, to the MBP. I havent had a chance to listen to the sound on my new MBA, but its sitting in the box on the counter ready for me when I get home.

Im guessing the sound not be as good because they shoved the backlit keyboard in there. (The speakers may be smaller, and/or the enclosure doesnt do as well with soundwaves with less space) I could be wrong though.
QUOTE Thanks
mattyp

ya, all the reviews have said the sound quality should be the same. I haven't found a direct comparison but I just tested it again and there is a noticeable difference. I'm just wondering if its just my laptop that sounds this way and if I should have it checked out. I'm going to call support to see.
QUOTE Thanks
rengnath

Yeah, Ill compare my MBA to my brothers MBP and let you know. Everything I have read prior states that the sound quality should be pretty comparable. Apple may have sacraficed this to add all the new stuff though. :/
QUOTE Thanks
mattyp

just spoke to support. apparently there is some sort of recall or notice about the sound quality of the new macbook airs. i'll be taking it in for exchange of a fix.
QUOTE Thanks
rengnath

Are they swapping out the whole computer or just fixing them? Mines still brand new so I wont start installing software or anything depending on what they are doing to fix it.
QUOTE Thanks
mattyp

although support said they may be able to fix it i will request an exchange considering its only 1 day old.
QUOTE Thanks
rengnath

Gotcha. I will test mine as soon as I start it up I guess. Thanks for the update!
QUOTE Thanks
mattyp

took it in and there is an "engineering notice" about the sound from external speakers on some new macbook airs. mine would have been exchanged - but they were sold out. another couple days before I get it but hopefully no more issues.
QUOTE Thanks
rengnath

I set my air next to my brothers 09 Macbook Pro and we played the same song in sync. Sound quality is the exact same, although his MBP was only at 75% volume when mine was at 95% or so.

Only problem Ive had so far was my tab key had a scratch in it where the backlight was shining through. I took it to the apple store figuring they would just pop the key off, but they replaced the whole computer. I kinda felt bad for complaining about something so small, but Apple definitely has some awesome customer service. Never did I expect a new computer.
QUOTE Thanks
mattyp

exchanged my air and the speaker quality is still not as good as the 2010 13". im surprised no one has noted this in any reviews.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook running at 100C when streaming Netflix | Help! I need to transfer data from my MacBook Pro to an external hard drive »