New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Could my Macbook Pro play a new game?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Chrisw

Chrisw is on a distinguished road

So I used to use PC's and hated them. I have now had a Macbook Pro for about 2 years and LOVE it. But... The one thing I miss is computer games. There is now a new game coming out that I would really like to play... I am curious if you guys think my mac could play this game?

I am aware that I will have to bootcamp, and run the game in windows.

My mac stats are:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MB51.007D.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.32f8

The game Req's are:

Processor: Core 2 Duo @ 2.0GHz
RAM: 2GB
Graphic card: DirectX 10 or 11 compatible Nvidia or AMD ATI card.
Graphics card memory: 512 MB
Hard drive: 15 GB for disc version or 10 GB for digital version
Recommended system requirements for Battlefield 3
Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
RAM: 4GB
Graphics card: DirectX 11 Nvidia or AMD ATI card, GeForce GTX 460, Radeon Radeon HD 6850
Graphics card memory: 1 GB
Hard drive: 15 GB for disc version or 10 GB for digital version

Is there anything I can do to run this game on my computer?
QUOTE Thanks
geraint84

geraint84 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook pro 2011 17 sandybridge

it will play it most likely, but on the lower settings. Make sure you get the most recent boot camp windows drivers also.

int main () { cout << "Hello World!"; return 0; }
QUOTE Thanks
StMFA

StMFA will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2011 27in iMac i5 3.1GHz, AMD 6970, iPhone 4, Wi-Fi iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraint84 View Post
it will play it most likely, but on the lower settings. Make sure you get the most recent boot camp windows drivers also.
Agreed.
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

Up your RAM or dont bother, it will not even be worth loading. It is the only thing you can change that will make any difference. Well, the only thing you can change.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Air 2 128 GB LTE, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Personally, I wouldn't even bother loading a game that requires a GPU with a minimum 512MB RAM on a MB that has only the minimum CPU and RAM specs to begin with and a Intel GMA X3100 graphics card.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Agree with the above from bobtomay. Your machine has a nVidia GeoForce 9400M which uses shared memory from the system but only up to 256 MB. There is no way that you can play that game adequately or at all. You need a new machine with the correct specs.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Yep, stand corrected the 9400M - I was looking at the previous gen 2 Ghz.

Still wouldn't go to the bother of paying for a copy of Windows in the hopes of playing BF3. If you already had windows installed and could get a demo of BF3 to check it out before you lay down your cash, the I'd say give it a try,

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
iHarrison

iHarrison can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisw View Post
So I used to use PC's and hated them. I have now had a Macbook Pro for about 2 years and LOVE it. But... The one thing I miss is computer games. There is now a new game coming out that I would really like to play... I am curious if you guys think my mac could play this game?

I am aware that I will have to bootcamp, and run the game in windows.
Is there anything I can do to run this game on my computer?
While you've said that you hate PCs, if you really want to go for high-end gaming, short of getting a top-spec iMac or a Mac Pro you're not going to find a Mac that can play the latest games; and as you're essentially gonna have to deal with a "PC" if you Boot Camp Windows onto your Mac anyway, it might be worth getting a dedicated gaming PC.

If you get one custom-built it can have hardware specifically tailored for gaming, and the retail version of Windows it would be loaded with (Home Starter would do) wouldn't have all the bloatware you get on a pre-built.

That way you wouldn't need to waste a minimum of ~15-20GB of your Mac's HDD space on Windows & game files, and you could play all the latest games at the top settings.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem with MBA snow leopard - working good btwn "sleeps" but crashes after shutdown | Wifi trouble with MacBook »