Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Notebooks (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/)
-   -   ~ ` Key (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/24472-key.html)

Stephanella 09-26-2005 04:28 AM

~ ` Key

Guys, I was wondering what the little sign on the ~ key is for. I mean this one:

`

In many languages such as French, Italian and Spanish we use these sort of accents (that one looks like a grave accent, to call it by its name really), but if you have an English/American keyboard you will need some special characters to be able to type e and a with that sort of accent on. So, if it is the grave accent, here are two questions:

a- where have they put its opposite accent on the keyboard?
b- how do I get it on the actual vowel? Because if I type "proble`me" it is not the same as the accent of the e where it should be.

It looks like one of the signs that we use in phonetics and not the grave accent. Anyone knows? Thanks!

lil 09-26-2005 04:37 AM

Hi hon,

I'm not sure if this is what you mean

To get the accents, you need to use the Option key (Alt) with the letter you wish to accent, e.g.:

Option + E = (example: Option + e, release Option and press e = )
Option + ` = ` (example: Option + a, release Option and press a = )
Option + i = ^ (example: Option + i, release Option and press i = )
Option + u = (example: Option + u, release Option and press o = )
Option + c =

Hope this helps if this is indeed what you meant :flower: It's quite inituitive after a while.

There are others such as Option + r = and Option + g = .

:flower:

Just to add, to type problme, you'd type:

probl (option + `) eme

Vicky

the_New_guy 09-26-2005 05:15 AM

~ means home directory.

inflexion 09-26-2005 05:42 AM

hey could be worse, you could be using IRC and not find the # key hahaha like i did (alt + 3 if you didnt know)

Avalon 09-26-2005 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_New_guy
~ means home directory.

~ means tilde, it represents the home directory in Terminal. You don't get to the home directory by pressing the ~-key.

Actually, to avoid all those accent troubles (I need to type in English, German and French) I use a Swiss keyboard...where the most used accented vowels are accessible immediately. :cool:

Though to type ~, I need to press Option-n and space... :oneye:

Stephanella 09-26-2005 08:50 AM

Chappies and Vicky especially, thanks, this is exactly what I need. I also considered changing the keyboard for writing in all those languages that need the accents, but the shortcuts above will do just fine. Maybe I should change the keyboard because I cannot see half of the letters on the keys anymore?! ;-)

lil 09-26-2005 01:33 PM

No problem, glad I could help :flower: Sounds like you could do with a new keyboard though!

Vicky

ed724 09-26-2005 01:42 PM

deleted, ed724

Avalon 09-26-2005 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lil
No problem, glad I could help :flower: Sounds like you could do with a new keyboard though!

Vicky

I guess Vicky is right, Stephanella, you need a new keyboard... :cool:
You could get a new English one for your iBook and an external Swiss keyboard for the foreign typing.
Or, if you want a new challenge, try a French one (AZERTY instead of QWERTY), it'll drive you nuts... :p