New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro or Air

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tomelk31

tomelk31 is on a distinguished road

I am planning on buying a macbook within the next month. I am currently at University so I get a massive discount of the normal price but am not sure whether to get get the pro or the air.

I will use it for Internet, music, word processing and programming.

I had decided on getting the pro until today when the new MacBook air came out and I the specs had been improved.

Which one would you recommend for what I will be doing?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Do you ever find yourself needing a CD/DVD drive? If so...then the MacBook Pro may be the better choice. Of course you can get an external CD/DVD drive for the MacBook Air.

You didn't mention what specific models you are considering...so there may be a $$$//€€€ to consider.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
tomelk31

Thanks for the reply.

I find these days a CD/DVD drive is not something I use.

I was looking at the 13" MacBook pro 2.0ghz processor and 500gb at 890

Or

13" MacBook air not sure whether to go 128gb or 256gb configuration yet.
QUOTE Thanks
triathlonstu

triathlonstu is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac, 3Ghz, 4GB RAM, Nano, iPhone4, Shuffle

Im in the same boat as you mate.

Does anyone know when the new MacBook Pros or 'Ultrabooks' will be released?

I would probably wait and get a decent 15" Pro/Ultra but as it stands Im looking at a 11" Air for on the move and an iMac for home.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomelk31 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I find these days a CD/DVD drive is not something I use.

I was looking at the 13" MacBook pro 2.0ghz processor and 500gb at 890

Or

13" MacBook air not sure whether to go 128gb or 256gb configuration yet.
You didn't include prices for the MacBook Airs...but:

- 13" MacBook Pro 890
- 13" MacBook Air 128gig SSD 1,099
- 13" MacBook Air 256gig SSD 1,349

In either case with the MacBook Air...that's a pretty good jump in price (if price is a concern)...especially for the 256gig MacBook Air.

The SSD drives are supposed to make a computer seem faster than the cpu speed would indicate...and the MacBook Air's are lighter than the MacBook Pros. So the best recommendation would be to try & visit a local Apple Store or university store (if possible) to make speed & weight comparison's.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Ramimac1

Ramimac1 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram

one other thing to consider would be battery life.

Old time Computer Hardware Tech
Ohh My Typing Sucks Live with it

Snoopy is the Man !!!
QUOTE Thanks
thrain

thrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramimac1 View Post
one other thing to consider would be battery life.
Which battery life is better? How much better?

Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
Zizuno

Zizuno is on a distinguished road

The battery life of the top tier MBA is supposed to be on par with the MBP at 7 hours.
QUOTE Thanks
Darth & Vader

Darth & Vader is on a distinguished road

That is a tough decision, as they are both great! For me personally, i like to play graphic intense video games here and there so the MacBook Pro would be the wiser choice as it comes with a much better video card than the standard Intel Graphics chipset. It all depends on your needs.

GL!
QUOTE Thanks
tomelk31

Is there going to be a new MacBook pro out anytime soon?

I don't ant to go out and buy a pro and then a few weeks later a new one comes out.
QUOTE Thanks
Ramimac1

Ramimac1 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizuno View Post
The battery life of the top tier MBA is supposed to be on par with the MBP at 7 hours.
ok so the 13" 2010 mbp model had a 10 hour battery. did not notice that change.

Sorry about that.

Old time Computer Hardware Tech
Ohh My Typing Sucks Live with it

Snoopy is the Man !!!
QUOTE Thanks
rengnath

rengnath is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Air i5 processor w/ Lion OS

I just faced the same tough decision, but when I saw the new air and the specs, I was sold.

I was originally looking at buying the older air with the 256g hd, 2.13ghz core 2 duo and 4gb of ram. It was a computer that wouldve suited me well, but it ran $1800 after tax so I was hesitant because $1800 will buy you an awesome MBP, and I didnt think the "cool" factor of the Air was that cool.

When I saw the new specs though, I ordered mine ASAP. The scariest thing about the old airs was the core 2 duo just because it is a little dated IMO. Now the air offers the i5 (or i7) giving you that extra battery life, it has the backlit keyboard, and so on. I did order the 13" because as an every day user, the 11" was a little too small. I got mine overnighted and it will be here tomorrow for a little over $1300. A MBP would have a few more advantages like the cd drive, a better graphics card, and some better battery life, but I dont need that. Either way, I think both are very sufficient for average users.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need 2008 Macbook screen replacement - same as Macbook Pro? | 2010 Macbook Air vs all the previous generations »