New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MBP won't recognize internal HDD... help?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ipushmycar

ipushmycar is on a distinguished road

I have a 2006 15" Macbook Pro (Core Duo).

About a year ago my MBP began constantly freezing and many times unable to locate the HDD when booting up. I figured this was a HDD problem so I "temporarily" installed OS X on an external HDD.

A year goes by and my MBP is still running off an external HDD. Just last week I bought a new internal HDD and installed it myself. The new drive had the same problems as the old one- freezing after a couple minutes of use and then could no longer be found. I returned it after reading that many of the Seagate Momentus drives are defective. I bought a new Western Digital and it couldn't be recognized by the computer at all.

Now that I know the HDD isn't the problem, I'm assuming it's one of two problems-

1. The SATA cable needs to be replaced.
2. The SATA port on the motherboard is blown.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge with this problem. My MBP is out of warranty so all repairs need to be paid for. I can order a new SATA cable for $20-$40, or I could take my MBP in for repairs and probably need to spend way more. Does anybody have any insight on what the problem may be? Anyway I can test to see if the SATA cable and motherboard are working properly? I'm leaning towards buying a new SATA cable as a last effort of fixing this thing myself. Otherwise I have a feeling professional repair will be quite costly.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I would go with the new SATA ribbon cable for starters. That particular ribbon cable undergoes a lot of heat once the machine is closed up. Internal breaks on those types of cable is quite common as they tend to dry up from the heat. After drying up, they can easily crack with the least amount of flexing.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Possibly redundant - keys ghost typing - HELP | 2011 MPB and Dell U3011 30" »