New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook 1.1 - Loud fan

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mjolby

Mjolby is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I have a MacBook 1.1 from 2006 and its fan is driving me crazy!
It's at 6200rpm almost constantly!
And no I haven't got a stuck print job, and my activity monitor is fine and my harddrive has tons of free space.
Please advice!

Mjolby
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

In most cases totally normal...especially if you're:

- gaming (hard drive or internet based)
- playing videos (You Tube)
- doing anything that requires a lot of gpu resources

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. Warm/hot environmental temps will make things worse.

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Mjolby

Right now, i'm just on this forum using Google Chrome and the fan is at 5700rpm. No games or anything o.O
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Give this a try Link
QUOTE Thanks
Mjolby

Didn't change anything, as soon as my mac booted up the fans went to 6000rpm...
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjolby View Post
Right now, i'm just on this forum using Google Chrome and the fan is at 5700rpm. No games or anything o.O
Are you 100% sure (as you mentioned in your original post) when you check "activity monitor" nothing is running that shouldn't be or that you don't recognize?

Another possibility...as you know...you're MacBook 1,1 is around 5 years old (2006)...it's very very possible that your fan (and/or computer on the inside) is dirty!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Mjolby

I am indeed, and the fan has already been cleaned. I have no idea what it could be :S
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I am indeed, and the fan has already been cleaned. I have no idea what it could be :S
Did you disassemble the MacBook to clean the fan?

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Mjolby

Yes, could it simply mean that I need a new fan?
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Quote:
Yes, could it simply mean that I need a new fan?

Seems unlikely to me. Either your processor really is heating up - or the controller is malfunctioning. Is your computer feeling warmer than normal?

It's probably just time for a new computer - 5 years is a pretty good run.
QUOTE Thanks
Mjolby

Ye, I'm pretty sure it's my processor and yeah it probably is time for a new computer, a huge shame that mac laptops aren't really affordable for students

Thanks for all the quick answers though, but if you come up with some other solution, please do make a new post
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

If you look at the refurb store or online for used Macs - you may find a deal that fits your budget/requirements.

Just out of curiosity - have you brought up Activity Monitor to see if anything is running that's exercising the CPU?
QUOTE Thanks
Mjolby

The only thing drawing cpu right now is google chrome and the activity monitor itself, and yes I'm looking online for refurbished apple laptops, however it's quite hard to find some close to Sweden, as I'm not sure that i'd trust shipping from outside of Europe at least.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Ye, I'm pretty sure it's my processor and yeah it probably is time for a new computer, a huge shame that mac laptops aren't really affordable for students
I really wouldn't give up on the MacBook yet! We get questions about hot Mac laptops all the time (high fan rpms, high temps, etc.)...so we've been down this road many many many times.

In the vast majority of situations...one or more of the suggestions made so far usually resolve or explain why the MacBook is hot & fan running at high rpm's. Either:

- the computer really is still dirty
- there is something or "somethings" running in Activity Monitor that shouldn't be
- a demanding app. is running that is taxing the cpu or gpu

...or this is the rare situation where there is some sort of hardware failure. It's really hard to be 100% sure...since we cannot see the computer in person.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Mjolby

Could it be that I need to apply some new thermal paste to the processor?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HD clone not recognized when internal | MBP external speaker static »