New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Upgrading ram: apple, or myself?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zeb

zeb is on a distinguished road

I have a 2011 15" macbook pro. It has the 4gb of ram but I want to upgrade that to 8gb. Is it something that would be significantly cheaper (and easy) to do myself, or should I go to the apple store to have it done? Also, what is a reasonable price? The "geniuses" there didnt know how much it cost but said it was probably around $200. I appreciate any help, thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Sonicjet

Sonicjet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 13' Macbook Pro i5

I did this with my 2011 13 inch, the job is a 5 min job, however note this: Get a good screwdriver, a REALLY good one that fits perfectly, you don't want to be striping screws or scratching them up,it's worth it your your everyday as well.

Be careful to just touch the board of the ram, not the contacts or the Macbook's motherboard, don't want to zap anything.

Some screws are diffrent and all are locktighted, beprepaired to use just enogh force and such, I found the lock tight that remains on the screws tends to make them want to only work in the hole they came out of.

Make sure the mac is fully powered off.
If you follow this, your total costs would be under $75. Heck with the money you save, you can go Optibay at the same time with an SSD.
QUOTE Thanks
geraint84

geraint84 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook pro 2011 17 sandybridge

take your time and you will be fine! lots of walk thro's on you tube if you want to see some one do it before you crack yours open .. Good Luck!

int main () { cout << "Hello World!"; return 0; }
QUOTE Thanks
ronin67

ronin67 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeb View Post
I have a 2011 15" macbook pro. It has the 4gb of ram but I want to upgrade that to 8gb. Is it something that would be significantly cheaper (and easy) to do myself, or should I go to the apple store to have it done? Also, what is a reasonable price? The "geniuses" there didnt know how much it cost but said it was probably around $200. I appreciate any help, thanks.
I guess it really depends how mechanically inclined you are. To buy the RAM itself from OWC, I spent about about $149.00. Then I installed the RAM myself. I have the same MBP you have. I upgraded both the RAM to 8 GB and put in a 7200 RPM/750 GB hard drive. This is the second MBP I ungraded the RAM in. If you have the money to spare, you can have the Apple Store put it in for you. For me it really wasn't an option (Apple Store close by).

Take Care and May God bless.

Ed
QUOTE Thanks
zeb

Thanks guys!
I have to think about this..
QUOTE Thanks
tommyxv

tommyxv is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac, 3.4Ghz Core i7, 256GB ssd + 1TB hdd, 16GB memory, Radeon 6970m w/2GB

I got my 8GB ram kit from Crucial for just $74.....Very easy to upgrade yourself...just keep the screws in order as 3 in the back are longer on my 2011 15" unibody.

8GB Kit (4GBx2), 204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3-10600 upgrades for Apple MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 (15-inch DDR3) Early-2011 Laptop/Notebook, CT2209132 from Crucial.com
QUOTE Thanks
bellerobot

bellerobot is on a distinguished road

I did it 3 months ago with the RAM from Crucial. It's a very easy job.

Macbook Pro 13, Mid 2009, 8G Ram, Hitachi 7k500
HP P4 3.0GHz, 2 G RAM DDR 400, Seagate 320GB, Samsung 250GB, LG 20.1",
Samsung P4 3.0GHz, 1.5G RAM DDR2, Samsung 160GB, Dell U2311H
QUOTE Thanks
xxmacbethxx

xxmacbethxx is on a distinguished road

ifixit.com

awesome walkthroughs easy to do have done it for many macs myself literally only like 8 screws and like 2 buttons to push just be gentle!
QUOTE Thanks
zeb

I really want to save the $100...just scared! haha
Does it void all my applecare if I do it myself?
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

Quote:
I really want to save the $100...just scared! haha
Does it void all my applecare if I do it myself?
no, your applecare still intact, I have done with my own and my sister's. it is a piece of cake. Make sure you get the contact tight.
QUOTE Thanks
zeb

Is crucial the best place to get the ram?
Also, where did you guys get the right screwdriver?
I want to make sure I do this right.
Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

craftsman from sears make sure it is a #0 philips screwdriver
QUOTE Thanks
zeb

On ifixit they suggest disconnecting the battery connector...is that necessary? The less things I need to disconnect and connect the better I will feel.

Also, they recommended a #00 instead of a #0. Is there a difference? Which one is best? thanks again for all the help, and sorry for being so stupid!

Installing MacBook Pro 15" Unibody Early 2011 RAM - iFixit
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

Quote:
On ifixit they suggest disconnecting the battery connector...is that necessary? The less things I need to disconnect and connect the better I will feel.

Also, they recommended a #00 instead of a #0. Is there a difference? Which one is best? thanks again for all the help, and sorry for being so stupid!

Installing MacBook Pro 15" Unibody Early 2011 RAM - iFixit
no difference between #0 and #00, you do not disconnect anything.
QUOTE Thanks
zeb

Thanks. Just bought the ram from crucial.
Appreciate all the help!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Reset SMC on Macbook C2D? | Differences between October 2010 MBA and July 2011 MBA »