New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook G4 TI, upgrade or trash?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DArkSm4sh

DArkSm4sh is on a distinguished road

So i have a PowerBook G4 15' TI with the lowest specifications you could ever have!

It's equipped with:

400MHZ processor
256MB Ram
20GB HD

The PowerBook is in mint condition and have everything working as it was supposed to work but for me i can't do most of my daily tasks on it, i can't even watch YouTube videos and any online flash will just cause the G4 to freeze for a minute or two!

I was told to upgrade the Ram to its max (1GB) but i think the low processor will keep things as they are!

so do you recommend me to upgrade the ram? does it even worth it? or should i just trash this and get a new one?

Any suggestions are appreciated, Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I would not trash it for the sake of having a spare but I would get a new one also if you can find the ram why not it will help some.
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

Unless it doesnt work at all, dont trash it. Try selling on Craigs List or in a consignment shop somewhere first.

I am still trying to sell my Dual Core Win7 machine even though I have upgraded to 2011 17" MBP.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. iPhone 5s 64gb

I'll take it if you want to trash it!

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
DArkSm4sh

DArkSm4sh is on a distinguished road

Thanks for above posters but does anyone has an experience with G4 ram upgrade? as i don't think the 400MHZ processor will just keep things as they are so it would be a waste of money!
QUOTE Thanks
dekan

dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

I don't think a RAM upgrade will help you much. Flash is running on your CPU. Upgrading RAM will help opening more apps and switching between them, but not running CPU intensive tasks any faster.

If you think about upgrading to a newer model put the money towards that.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 15" Pro HDD issues? | 2.7 GHz w/ 5400 rpms or 2.0 GB w/ 7200 rpms »