Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Jun 06, 2011
    Posts
    3
    random horizontal lines on macbook pro
    since a month a go when i am working with my macbook pro for more than 2 hours, start to appear some horizontal lines randomly. if i close the lcd and open again, the lines disappear. with an external screen this thing dont append.
    anyone know the solution?

  2. #2

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,887
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    It could be a number of things. Can you tell us a bit more about your MacBook Pro, specifically the hardware specs and approximate age of the machine?
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Jun 06, 2011
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    It could be a number of things. Can you tell us a bit more about your MacBook Pro, specifically the hardware specs and approximate age of the machine?
    December 2006
    macbook pro 2.16 core 2 duo
    disk 100gb 5400--->300 gb 7200
    ati radeon x1600

  4. #4

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,887
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Just off the top of my head, it sounds like the GPU is running too warm. I don't know how comfortable you'd feel with disassembling the machine, but if it were mine, the first thing I'd do is remove the palm rest. Once it's off and the system board is exposed, I'd use some compressed air to clean the exhaust ducts, hold the fans still and clean them thoroughly.

    Once it's all cleaned up and dust free, if the issue persists, I'd run an Apple Hardware Test (AHT):

    Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test

    If that comes out clean, my next step would be to reseat the video cable that runs from the system board to the screen - and replace it if it shows signs of wear or damage (it will flex with the screen each time you open/close the lid).

    Hope that helps. If you're not comfortable with working on the machine, you may need to seek professional assistance.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Jun 06, 2011
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    Just off the top of my head, it sounds like the GPU is running too warm. I don't know how comfortable you'd feel with disassembling the machine, but if it were mine, the first thing I'd do is remove the palm rest. Once it's off and the system board is exposed, I'd use some compressed air to clean the exhaust ducts, hold the fans still and clean them thoroughly.

    Once it's all cleaned up and dust free, if the issue persists, I'd run an Apple Hardware Test (AHT):

    Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test

    If that comes out clean, my next step would be to reseat the video cable that runs from the system board to the screen - and replace it if it shows signs of wear or damage (it will flex with the screen each time you open/close the lid).

    Hope that helps. If you're not comfortable with working on the machine, you may need to seek professional assistance.
    i am more than comfortable. i already disassembly my macbook pro 4 times
    -one to replace the lcd (Broken)
    -another to replace the hard drive
    - another to replace the aluminum lcd covers
    - another to replace the dvd drive.

    best regards,

  6. #6

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    48,250
    Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Quote Originally Posted by vassili69 View Post
    since a month a go when i am working with my macbook pro for more than 2 hours, start to appear some horizontal lines randomly. if i close the lcd and open again, the lines disappear. with an external screen this thing dont append.
    anyone know the solution?
    If the symptoms do not appear on an external monitor, I would suspect the video cable as cw107 pointed out. Since it flexes whenever you open and close the lid, it can easily wear out over time. Try changing that first to see if it solves the problem.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Macbook Pro Retina flickering horizontal lines
    By Zethura in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-03-2014, 07:50 PM
  2. MacBook Pro 15" 2008 Failure. Freeze and horizontal lines.
    By Steveinshrews in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-21-2012, 10:41 AM
  3. Horizontal lines on Macbook pro screen
    By Sethdetable in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-07-2012, 04:26 PM
  4. Random horizontal lines of "dead pixels". What to replace?
    By dataguy601 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-03-2011, 09:21 PM
  5. MacBook Pro blue horizontal lines error
    By crapperen in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-22-2009, 10:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •