New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

I know there's been a lot of posts like this but I need an IDM

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

aakdee

aakdee is on a distinguished road

Hey,

I just switched to Mac last week. Now, I don't need to tell y'all how much I'm loving this.

The only thing I miss about Windows is IDM (Internet Download Manager).

I use my Windows 98% of the times for internet and 90% of my internet work is done with IDM.

Not just download accelerator, but link catching, live video downloads, audio downloads from ANY website is what makes it all easy. It's one stop for all my downloading - tv shows, videos, youtube, movies, mp3s, apps, everything.

Any alternative for Mac that does ALL?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
aakdee

Anyone, please?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Have a look at iGetter.

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Be very careful with download managers. A quick search of the forum will show you that they are often more trouble than they are worth.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
aakdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Have a look at iGetter.

Cheers
I, actually, came across it but never installed it.

Does it catch videos and audio files?
QUOTE Thanks
aakdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Be very careful with download managers. A quick search of the forum will show you that they are often more trouble than they are worth.
Yeah, I read the same post somewhere. I'm guessing it was you there too. Could me brief me on this?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aakdee View Post
I, actually, came across it but never installed it.

Does it catch videos and audio files?
Not too sure. The Mac dl manager is good enough for my needs with the MAS, iTunes AppleTV so i have no need for one. Its just what google bought up. But do take heed in what vansmith has said. He know his stuff.

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
dmccloud

dmccloud has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD

Another good download manager is "downthemall" - it's a browser extension for Firefox and Chrome. I use it in conjunction with FlashGot, and have yet to see any sort of trojan/virus/etc be downloaded by it (I use it on both Windows and OS X machines).

-------------------------------------------------
15" Retina MacBook Pro (Late 2013)
2.6 GHz Core i7 | 16GB | 1TB SSD | OS X Mavericks 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks
aakdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccloud View Post
Another good download manager is "downthemall" - it's a browser extension for Firefox and Chrome. I use it in conjunction with FlashGot, and have yet to see any sort of trojan/virus/etc be downloaded by it (I use it on both Windows and OS X machines).
Yeah I tried that. It doesn't accelerate downloads much. But I guess if I find nothing, I'll stick with that.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
But do take heed in what vansmith has said. He know his stuff.
I'm not just a pretty face around here.

Quote:
Yeah, I read the same post somewhere. I'm guessing it was you there too. Could me brief me on this?
Frequently, these get uninstalled improperly and end up precluding users from downloading anything at all (people will commonly get blank pages when they click to download files). Generally, with a reasonably fast broadband connection, you shouldn't need to use any DMs anyway.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
dmccloud

dmccloud has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD

Quote:
Yeah I tried that. It doesn't accelerate downloads much. But I guess if I find nothing, I'll stick with that.
I don't use it for acceleration. No real need for that with faster broadband connections. I use it to download files to specific folders based on type and use the FlashGot extension to download videos.

-------------------------------------------------
15" Retina MacBook Pro (Late 2013)
2.6 GHz Core i7 | 16GB | 1TB SSD | OS X Mavericks 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks
aakdee

Quote:
I'm not just a pretty face around here.

Frequently, these get uninstalled improperly and end up precluding users from downloading anything at all (people will commonly get blank pages when they click to download files). Generally, with a reasonably fast broadband connection, you shouldn't need to use any DMs anyway.
512Kbps (download speed 64KBps with IDM, 50-54KBps without)

Does AppTrap help uninstalling completely?

Will it, otherwise, affect my system majorly?
QUOTE Thanks
aakdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccloud View Post
I don't use it for acceleration. No real need for that with faster broadband connections. I use it to download files to specific folders based on type and use the FlashGot extension to download videos.
Oh cool.. Thanks.. I'll look into that later.. I appreciate your help. That'll be my second last resort.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
512Kbps (download speed 64KBps with IDM, 50-54KBps without)

Does AppTrap help uninstalling completely?

Will it, otherwise, affect my system majorly?
If you install something with an installer, use the appropriate uninstaller and not something like AppTrap. If it's a simple "drag and drop" install, you can just trash it most likely.

Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
aakdee

Quote:
If you install something with an installer, use the appropriate uninstaller and not something like AppTrap. If it's a simple "drag and drop" install, you can just trash it most likely.
Well, that is what I've been doing so far. I just got an update of AppTrap and that's when I read about it, hence asked. I didn't get your first line, though.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Upgrade time - Chime in! | Lighting problems with MacBookAIr »