New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Hot Powerbook!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JMH

No, I mean really hot. My 15-inch G4 1gig Powerbook has been running really hot, much more so than it ever has as far as I recall. The internal fan never used to come on; now it does regularly, even when I have the computer on a MacMice stand with dual cooling fans. The back is very hot to the touch. Is this a symptom of something wrong? Thanks for any input.
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMH
No, I mean really hot. My 15-inch G4 1gig Powerbook has been running really hot, much more so than it ever has as far as I recall. The internal fan never used to come on; now it does regularly, even when I have the computer on a MacMice stand with dual cooling fans. The back is very hot to the touch. Is this a symptom of something wrong? Thanks for any input.
What programs are you running when you encounter this? And what is she wearing?

Don't mind the second question it is a joke just in case you wonder, hehe.
QUOTE Thanks
DCraver

DCraver is a jewel in the roughDCraver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac G5

How hot? My iBook gets up to anywhere from 160 to 200. You just learn to cope with your computer's special needs. Haha.
QUOTE Thanks
JMH

Oh brother; I should have worded this question more carefully . . .

I don't run any power-intensive programs at all. I'm a writer, so mostly Word for Mac, Firefox, Acrobat, Mail. No spreadsheets or complicated graphics programs.

This could be just my imagination, but I don't think so.
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMH
Oh brother; I should have worded this question more carefully . . .

I don't run any power-intensive programs at all. I'm a writer, so mostly Word for Mac, Firefox, Acrobat, Mail. No spreadsheets or complicated graphics programs.

This could be just my imagination, but I don't think so.
I don't live with him but my Dad has mentioned sometimes the PB gets a little hot. Not insanely hot though like you are saying. I would get that checked out. It shouldn't be getting that hot imo for the stuff you do, maybe a little warm but not scorching like that. Do you run Dashboard? I hear that uses a lot of resources so that might contribute to it some.
QUOTE Thanks
ed724

ed724 is on a distinguished road

There are two fans. Are you sure both are working? The one on right runs first, if it gets real hot the one on the left turns on too. You can tell by feeling the air come out from behind. The left fan is located under the 2,3,W,E keys and the right one under the 0,-,P,[ keys.

ed724

http://fairtax.org/
QUOTE Thanks
JMH

I have a basic Dashboard in the background; does it use resources if it isn't up?

And I'll check on the internal fans--I didn't know there were two.

I suppose I should take it in and have it checked.

Thanks everyone for the ideas.
QUOTE Thanks
phantasma

I do protein folds and my cpu never gets over like 140.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Here a are a number of threads from a search of the forums that may offer answers:

15 inch temperature

2 Issues - Overheating, and slow RAM

powerbook 15" heat

cooling

Powerbook, quality problems?

hot powerbook

powerbook getting pretty hot

12" powerbook heat !help!

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
JMH

Thank you. I found another forum where this problem is being discussed; apparently I'm not the only one who has noticed this. There is some hint that the problem begins after upgrading to Tiger.
QUOTE Thanks
Morrigan

Yeah I have the most recent PB 12", and since upgrading to 10.4.2 a fan is usually on, running at it's lowest speed. Before 10.4.2, sometimes there wouldn't be a fan at all which was nice.
Also consider the temperatire of the room- if it's summer where you are, this might have some bearing. It's winter here in Australia, I don't think I wanna know how mental my fans are gonna go in summer.
QUOTE Thanks
mikesnail

sorry for my lack of knowledge, i am a new user to the world of mac's. Does the powerbook have a built in system to check the internal tempretures?
Mine gets warm over prolonged intensive use, but not at all during normal usage.
Thanks
Mike
QUOTE Thanks
alex

alex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesnail
sorry for my lack of knowledge, i am a new user to the world of mac's. Does the powerbook have a built in system to check the internal tempretures?
Mine gets warm over prolonged intensive use, but not at all during normal usage.
Thanks
Mike
there are several sensors inside the powerbook that can monitor the temperature of processor, battery, etc. there's a handy little app called, appropriately enough, Temperature Monitor, that you can set to run in the background and keep tabs on your book's inner workings. it can be found here:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19994
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My PB had to get fixed :( | Problems with new Ibook lcd »