New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Small upgrades to MBP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Chris_B

Chris_B is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13"

Hi,

I have an early 2010 MacBook Pro 13". The previous owner removed one of the 1GB sticks and replaced it with a 2GB module taking the memory to 3GB. Not sure why, as this will remove the dual channel functionality so I've ordered 4GB (2x2GB) from Crucial to replace this.

Next one is the HDD. This little laptop will serve as a desktop replacement for me, but the 160GB HDD is letting it down. The drive is a simple replacement and at a budget of about 40 I'm going to try for a 500GB/640GB replacement. Are any drives worth staying away from? Will a 7,200RPM drive cause heat issues?

Everything else I'm happy with, going to get the HDD this week and install it along with Lion when it is released.

Thanks, Chris.

2013 MacBook Air 13" / 1.3 GHz Intel Core i5 / 4GB DDR3 RAM / 128 GB SSD / OSX Mavericks 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
NickCage

NickCage is on a distinguished road

Hey Chris.

I recalled this post I stumbled across earlier. I think it answers your question.

"Installed a 7200 Seagate Momentus 500 GB in my 15" unibody MBP. The machine vibrated too much, and when on a hard surface, felt like a tuning fork. I had a 7200 drive in my old MBP (pre-unibody) with no vibration issues. I've since put a larger 5400 drive (Hitachi) and it's working great.

If you have a 13" unibody, I would think the 7200 will make that thing shake.

Seagate
Hitachi
Western Digital

These are the big three. I've used Seagate with no problems, Western Digital many problems (external drives) and now Hitachi (love it)." - Furi0us.Bee's post.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCage View Post
Hey Chris.

I recalled this post I stumbled across earlier. I think it answers your question.

"Installed a 7200 Seagate Momentus 500 GB in my 15" unibody MBP. The machine vibrated too much, and when on a hard surface, felt like a tuning fork. I had a 7200 drive in my old MBP (pre-unibody) with no vibration issues. I've since put a larger 5400 drive (Hitachi) and it's working great.

If you have a 13" unibody, I would think the 7200 will make that thing shake.

Seagate
Hitachi
Western Digital

These are the big three. I've used Seagate with no problems, Western Digital many problems (external drives) and now Hitachi (love it)." - Furi0us.Bee's post.
I'm not sure why that would be. I have a 7200rpm drive STOCK in my 15" mbp and there are no vibrations. Nor heat issues.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
NickCage

NickCage is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
I'm not sure why that would be. I have a 7200rpm drive STOCK in my 15" mbp and there are no vibrations. Nor heat issues.
Perhaps the fact that its a stock model explains why there are no vibrations.

I'm thinking when assembled, the stock 7200 rpm drive is securely fitted in the factory. Where as if you were to install a non-stock model it wouldn't be a factory secure fitting.

Thats my take on it anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Not all 7200 RPM drives are the same quality. You really need to read up on the reviews for each one. Some of them have more problems than others.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

I've never had vibration, heat, or noise issues after installing 7200rpm HDs.
A vast number of members here have had only the same experience as me.
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
I've never had vibration, heat, or noise issues after installing 7200rpm HDs.
A vast number of members here have had only the same experience as me.
I've never had problems either but I have read reports of others having problems so it couldn't hurt to read up on the reviews of the drives before buying.
QUOTE Thanks
Chris_B

Chris_B is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13"

Thanks for the replies all.

To be safe, I'll stick with the 5,400RPM drive. I've found a Samsung 640GB for 42 ($66) with free delivery that has a lot of positive reviews - I think I'll go with this one.

2013 MacBook Air 13" / 1.3 GHz Intel Core i5 / 4GB DDR3 RAM / 128 GB SSD / OSX Mavericks 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_B View Post
To be safe, I'll stick with the 5,400RPM drive.
The choice is yours but as mentioned above many people have no problems with a 7200 RPM drive.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCage View Post
Perhaps the fact that its a stock model explains why there are no vibrations.

I'm thinking when assembled, the stock 7200 rpm drive is securely fitted in the factory. Where as if you were to install a non-stock model it wouldn't be a factory secure fitting.

Thats my take on it anyway.
Then it's an installation problem. Not a problem with the drive speed. There could be quality issues with particular drives, this is always a possibility.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Which macbook should I get? Thorough question.. | MacBook Pro Refurb Question...... »