New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Inverter cable port broke, any hope?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bubb13z

Bubb13z is on a distinguished road

My girlfriend dropped my early 2008 MacBook and broke the screen. Since it's out of warranty I tried replacing the screen myself. Because I suck, when trying to plug back in the backlight inverter cable, I snapped off the port. Is there anyway I can replace this part or would I have to replace my logic board? I have a friend who worked for a computer repair company and has the tools, experience, etc. to help me out if there is a way to buy a new port or rewire something, I don't know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb13z View Post
My girlfriend dropped my early 2008 MacBook and broke the screen. Since it's out of warranty I tried replacing the screen myself. Because I suck, when trying to plug back in the backlight inverter cable, I snapped off the port. Is there anyway I can replace this part or would I have to replace my logic board? I have a friend who worked for a computer repair company and has the tools, experience, etc. to help me out if there is a way to buy a new port or rewire something, I don't know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
Ask your friend if he's the one who'd be doing the job. He's in a better position to say what he can do.
QUOTE Thanks
Bubb13z

Anyone able to help? Can't really find anything online. Even a "you have to buy a new logicboard" would help. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I've been doing computer repairs for years and it's been my personal experience when attempting to replace surface mounted components and connectors, that attempting to do so without the proper tools, usually results in more damage.

Having said the above, my recommendation is to replace the entire logic board unless your friend has the experience, proper tools, and know how to replace that connector. Even at that, the connector is not sold separately which means finding a defective board somewhere that you could remove the connector from. Lots of work.

Refurbished and used logic boards are stocked at many different suppliers most of which you can search out on the net or take a look at the advertisements in the back of MacWorld Magazine. Even used and refurbished logic boards can be fairly expensive, so be forewarned.

Another option is to look for non working machines with the same specs as yours on eBay. But again, prices for non working Macs are fairly high and you don't always know what you're getting.
QUOTE Thanks
Bubb13z

Thanks a lot man, I appreciate the help.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MBP hangs on grey, DVD and CD detected, but bad I/O | Looking for a MPB 13" Messenger Bag - Vertical, Slim, & Minimalist »