New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Change "core" user name?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zeb

zeb is on a distinguished road

I bought a macbook pro from somebody, and I cannot find how to delete their name. I have deleted the user under system preferences but his name is still everywhere. For example "John smith" is under "places" in "computer" and when I try to do things it always says "John smith's computer".

Is there an easy fix for this? Sorry if this is a stupid question
Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

The home folder is renamed under the Accounts preferences -  menu > System Preferences

THe users computer bit can be renamed under the Sharing preferences icon

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
zeb

I changed all that...
but if I go to macintosh hd>users>john smith is still there...and it wont let me know delete it. Its also the only name under users...I can't rename it (its grayed out). Under the user is apps, desktop, documents, downloads, etc.

Sorry...and thanks for the help so far!
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

When you buy a used computer it's always best to reformat the drive and reinstall the system. You never know what the previous user has on there.
You did get the install disks with the computer right? If not contact the seller about them.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

System Preferences - Sharing - Change the computer name there.

System Preferences - Accounts - Add a new account with your name and give it admin privileges. Log out and log into the new account. Head back into Accounts preferences and delete the John Smith account. This will delete the account and all data in that user account.

It is better to do a clean install as has been suggested.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
zeb

Ya, I do need to do a clean install...
The seller has been telling me for weeks he'll get me the discs...but never does. Not sure what to do. Don't know if I can buy new ones or what...
Thanks guys
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How much can I add? | MacBook pro 17" problems »