Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Notebooks (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/)
-   -   How much can I add? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/243454-how-much-can-i-add.html)

ish60629 07-08-2011 01:48 AM

How much can I add?

I am thinking to upgrade my ram to bring more speed to my MAC, and if not mistaken I can upgrade it up to 4. I have a macbook, mid 2007. I would like to know what is the limit to upgrade my hard drive too, i have a 120 or 160 GB. not sure. Can I go for 320, or up to 500 GB, without sacrificing performance?

CrimsonRequiem 07-08-2011 02:13 AM

You can go up to 750GB for the HDD.

bobtomay 07-08-2011 05:15 AM

You'll find any of the larger hard drives will be faster than your current drive - even the 5400 rpm drives due to the areal density of the platters on the newer drives.

Just make sure you get one of the 9.5mm height drives - this will include practically all 2.5" drives made except some of the 750GB and all 1TB or larger drives. I believe all drives up to the 640GB mark are 9.5mm.

ish60629 07-08-2011 09:56 AM

Thanks for the information. But another quick question. If I'm having this much more storage space, could it be that i can require more RAM, maybe do 8 and be safer??? And what are my chances to have problems later with my new hard drive? Should I pick an specific Brand???
Thanks!!!

Slydude 07-08-2011 11:17 AM

Check here. MacBook, MacBook Pro Memory, Hard Drive Upgrades. Free Installation Videos and Guide online make it easy for anyone! Options for up to 2GB, 4GB, 6GB, 8GB, even 16GB of RAM, 1TB HD, 480GB SSD/ If you find your model and click the link it will show the maximum memory and hard drive the machine can take.I think the memory will max out a 6 GB.

ish60629 07-09-2011 02:42 AM

thanks Slydude that link helps a lot. ok now I have all this. Now i am ever more confused than before. I am a little broke now and don't want to spend money on something that will not work. I went to buy the drives and the memory at Best Buy. There they told me that i can only do up to 2, according to their system. Also someone there told me i can go up to 4 but that the mac will only work up to 3 then I went to A geek Squad person. He said I can only do up to 2 on my memory and on the hard drive I can do as much as i want to, but that will eat up my battery a lot quicker. How much of this can I believe? And now I am waiting on a friend that works at the apple store and see if he can clarify some of this questions, in the mean time i want to know as much as i can.
Thanks for the help in advance!!!!

Slydude 07-09-2011 12:19 PM

The guys at the link I posted earlier are pretty good about only showing options that are known to work. On several models their maximum memory options are higher than Apple's recommendations. I bet the Best Buy system is based upon Apple's recommendations.

You might find a program called MacTracker useful in this situation. It has configuration/upgrade information, including minimum and maximum memory. It's updated regularly so as new information becomes available it's reflected in the software.