Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Oct 05, 2009
    Posts
    236
    Specs:
    2011 13' Macbook Pro i5
    Does Ram really make as big of a difference on a Macbook as I've heard?
    I have a 2011 MBP 13. Now, I know that Ram will help me, I'm trying to run XCode and I'm just out of memorying all over the place, sometimes I'll have a 2Gb+ page file going...and I have 4Gb of ram! Now, Research has shown that "More than 4Gb Ram can improve performance by up to 30%" On a PC this is false, however is this true for my macbook? It's only $80 and if the difference is a big as it sounds then I will go for it.

  2. #2

    bobtomay's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 22, 2006
    Location
    Texas, where else?
    Posts
    26,466
    Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    I'd like to see that "research".
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

  3. #3

    osxx's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 19, 2008
    Location
    houston texas
    Posts
    4,695
    Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    Pull up activity monitor curious how many page in /outs you have now.

  4. #4


    Member Since
    Oct 05, 2009
    Posts
    236
    Specs:
    2011 13' Macbook Pro i5
    MacTrast Reviews: Crucial 8GB RAM Upgrade For 2011 MacBook Pro | MacTrast
    apple - Does more RAM on Mac really improve performance? - Super User
    ETC.

    Let me load up Xcode and get some work done to get you some page in/out numbers, The Swap used often goes above 1.5 to past 2Gb.
    Now, granted, I'm normally also running chrome (but only one or two tabs), noting crazy here.

    Also, I have experienced a few OOM issues while running games such as Team Fortress 2,(now as you know, that does not page well,lol boom crash, you lose this round, you get the idea)
    I'm just surprised how poorly memory is managed here on the mac, I'm using way more ram than I ever had on a windows machine, is it Leopard or Lion?(Same issue on both) I mean Tiger used to run just peachy on my old eMac. less than 512Mb of ram usage and all.

  5. #5

    osxx's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 19, 2008
    Location
    houston texas
    Posts
    4,695
    Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonicjet View Post
    MacTrast Reviews: Crucial 8GB RAM Upgrade For 2011 MacBook Pro | MacTrast
    apple - Does more RAM on Mac really improve performance? - Super User
    ETC.

    Let me load up Xcode and get some work done to get you some page in/out numbers, The Swap used often goes above 1.5 to past 2Gb.
    Now, granted, I'm normally also running chrome (but only one or two tabs), noting crazy here.

    Also, I have experienced a few OOM issues while running games such as Team Fortress 2,(now as you know, that does not page well,lol boom crash, you lose this round, you get the idea)
    I'm just surprised how poorly memory is managed here on the mac, I'm using way more ram than I ever had on a windows machine, is it Leopard or Lion?(Same issue on both) I mean Tiger used to run just peachy on my old eMac. less than 512Mb of ram usage and all.
    I would not say Mac's manage memory poorly but have had the ability to make use of more ram and sometimes a program can be written poorly.

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Oct 05, 2009
    Posts
    236
    Specs:
    2011 13' Macbook Pro i5
    BTW:
    Page in: 7.2Gb
    Page Out: 1.1Gb
    Page file size: 2.67Gb
    This is with one Xcode project and a tab of chrome running.
    This is on lion and is actually bette than SL in which no chrome would get me this much.

  7. #7

    Lifeisabeach's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 30, 2007
    Location
    The Republic of Neptune
    Posts
    7,745
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonicjet View Post
    Now, Research has shown that "More than 4Gb Ram can improve performance by up to 30%" On a PC this is false...
    32-bit versions of Windows are incapable of addressing more than 4 GB of RAM, so in a sense that is true. But that's the only reason, and only for those versions of Windows.

    Memory Limits for Windows Releases (Windows)

    Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

  8. #8

    osxx's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 19, 2008
    Location
    houston texas
    Posts
    4,695
    Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    This will explain it better also take note of how much free memory you have and since
    you don't have a dedicated video card part of the memory is shared ram. Does my mac need more memory?

  9. #9


    Member Since
    Oct 05, 2009
    Posts
    236
    Specs:
    2011 13' Macbook Pro i5
    Quote Originally Posted by osxx View Post
    This will explain it better also take note of how much free memory you have and since
    you don't have a dedicated video card part of the memory is shared ram. Does my mac need more memory?
    Free memory = 0, lol.
    oh, OOM error how I love thee.

    (I just got 8Gb of Apple Certified DDR3 1333. )
    They say I'll get 512Mb of Vram instead of 386 with this, not complaining at all....

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. would 32GB ram make a difference
    By curlyimac in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-13-2015, 09:36 PM
  2. Will more RAM on my g3 make a difference?
    By barryWest in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-11-2010, 03:42 PM
  3. Is 4gig RAM a big difference...
    By reddelish in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-30-2008, 08:47 AM
  4. Does RAM make a NOTICEABLE difference?
    By milk is white in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-10-2007, 12:24 AM
  5. Big difference b/t 512mb and 768mb RAM in ibook?
    By eburness in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-12-2004, 05:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •