New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Buying a Macbook Pro Help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ianschif

ianschif is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I am buying a macbook pro on ebay and I am not sure if it is a good deal / if it will last because it is refurbished by a non-apple company. It is $500 would you guys buy it if I am looking for a relatively cheap and perfectly working macbook pro? Thanks
Details:
# APPLE MACBOOK 13.3" LAPTOP MB466LL/A
#
# THESE UNITS ARE USED
# THEY HAVE BEEN CLEANED, TESTED AND ARE IN GOOD WORKING CONDITION
#
# APPLE MACBOOK PRO
# MODEL: MB466LL/A - ALUMINUM UNIBODY
# A1278
# PROCESSOR: 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo ( 3MEG L2 CACHE )
# SYSTEM BUS: 1066 MHZ
# RAM SIZE: ( 2 GB, INSTALLED ) , MAX SUPPORTED 4 GB
# HARD DRIVE: 160GB SERIAL ATA, 5400rpm ,
# DISPLAY: 13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1280-by-800 resolution
# VIDEO:Built-in iSight camera; Mini DisplayPort output port with support for DVI, VGA, and dual-link DVI (requires adapters, sold separately)
# GRAPHICS: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory2
# WIRELESS: Built-in AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi (based on IEEE 802.11n draft specification)3 ; built-in Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) module
# AUDIO:Built-in stereo speakers, built-in omnidirectional microphone, combined optical digital input/analog line in, combined optical digital output/analog line out
# NETWORKING: Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T (Gigabit) Ethernet
# CDROM DRIVE: 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
# MOUSE: Touchpad
# USB: 2 - USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps)
# HEIGHT: 0.95 inch (2.41 cm)
# WIDTH: 12.78 inches (32.5 cm)
# DEPTH: 8.94 inches (22.7 cm)
# WEIGHT: 4.5 pounds (2.04 kg)44.5 pounds (2.04 kg)4
# THESE UNITS HAVE BEEN UPDATED TO OS X 10.5.8
#
#
# THESE UNITS HAVE BEEN REFURBISHED BY OUR WAREHOUSE STAFF
# THEY ARE CLEANED, TESTED AND I GOOD WORKING ORDER
# THERE IS MINOR SCRATCHING ON THE CASE - DO TO NORMAL WARE
# THE SCREENS HAVE NO SCRATCHES OR DEAD PIXELS
# THE BATTERIES ARE USED AND IN WORKING CONDITION - THEY ARE NOT WARRANTED TO MEET MANUFACTURER'S ORIGINAL SPEC'S
# 30 DAY REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT WARRANTY
QUOTE Thanks
Tbone

Tbone is on a distinguished road

It's always a risk buying used, especially online when you can't physically see and test it yourself.

I guess it depends how much you're willing to risk $500. Where is it? Maybe the seller would be willing to take it to an apple store near him to have it checked out before you buy it. Remember that once you add the cost of the inspection at the apple store and any shipping you're going to be nearing the cost of a base Macbook(which will come with warranty and free support)
QUOTE Thanks
ianschif

Hi,
I am buying a macbook pro on ebay and I am not sure if it is a good deal / if it will last because it is refurbished by a non-apple company. It is $500 would you guys buy it if I am looking for a relatively cheap and perfectly working macbook pro? Thanks
Details:
#
# THESE UNITS ARE USED
#
# APPLE MACBOOK PRO
# A1278
# DISPLAY: 13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1280-by-800 resolution
# VIDEO:Built-in iSight camera; Mini DisplayPort output port with support for DVI, VGA, and dual-link DVI (requires adapters, sold separately)
# GRAPHICS: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory2
# WIRELESS: Built-in AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi (based on IEEE 802.11n draft specification)3 ; built-in Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) module
# AUDIO:Built-in stereo speakers, built-in omnidirectional microphone, combined optical digital input/analog line in, combined optical digital output/analog line out
#
#
# THE BATTERIES ARE USED AND IN WORKING CONDITION - THEY ARE NOT WARRANTED TO MEET MANUFACTURER'S ORIGINAL SPEC'S
QUOTE Thanks
ianschif

It is in Minneapolis which I doubt has an apple store near it. The ebay user has a 99.4 % feedback rate and 4923 people have reviewed him he seems legit.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

I stray away from listings that say they are in "good working condition." There's no reason for a computer to be in excellent working condition!

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Moved. Not a subject for the "Lounge".

Also, do not cross post! You not only posted this in the wrong forum, but posted it to two different forums. Please read our forum descriptions and Sticky notices before posting. Thanks for your cooperation.
QUOTE Thanks
ronss

ronss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianschif View Post
Hi,
Details:
#
# THESE UNITS ARE USED
#
# APPLE MACBOOK PRO
# A1278
#
#
cheap enough, and i have bought refurbished(not apple) from newegg with no problems at all...sort of got to read the feedback on ebay, if there are negatives, run.

i am going to buy a asus 16inch refurbished off newegg. or a new sony.....and also going to buy a used g5 powermack...i like the mac book pro,s...but i don,t think they are worth the money...they look nice, but its just sort of a bragging rights thing.....basically , a linux computer......the parts in them are like any other computer, though they have nice cases.
QUOTE Thanks
AUZambo

AUZambo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram

A quick search for that model number (MB466LL/A) makes me doubt that this is a macbook pro. I think it's just a regular Macbook...not that there's anything wrong with that, but the description you provided is a little misleading if I'm right.

Otherwise, it appears to be a good computer for the price. I have a nearly 5 year old MBP that still runs like a charm (I did upgrade the RAM and HD), so I would have no reservations about buying a solid 2 year old model, which I believe this one is.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need help - AGAIN! | New MacBooker »