New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MBP and MacBook Air SWAP - Change of ownership

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

outsideworld

outsideworld is on a distinguished road

I recently swapped my 13" MBP for an 11" MacBook Air.

How can I change the ownership, so that I am officially the owner of the MacBook Air?

Also, the person that swapped with me, left his OS on it without reinstalling a clean install, so now I am not able to install any programs as I'm prompted for an administrator password which I do not know, and doubt that the previous owner would provide it for privacy reasons.

The solution is to do a clean install of OS X Leopard... but how is this done?

There is no optical drive on a MacBook Air, and I only know how to do OS installs using MBP's or iMac's, not Air's.

Also, the seller did not provide OS X Leopard to me on an optical disk or a USB key - Does the Air usually come with OS X Leopard in some type of media (DVD or USB Key etc). If so, I will have to enquire as to why this was not provided.

Advice would be appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
wheelguy12

wheelguy12 is on a distinguished road

Not a huge expense, but it sounds like you will have to buy the disk set for your air, and a USB drive as well. The disk set should have definitely been provided as a part of the sale, but the right way to do this is to give him the disks for your machine on condition that he give you the disks for the air.

2011 MacBook Pro 13" i5, 8/300 gig 27" + 23" disp
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Yes, you need to request the install media to do a clean install (or possible repairs now or later) and/or his password so that you can set up your own account as admin and delete his. There's no reason not to provide you with that password if the machine is auto logging into his account as you already have access to all the data he left on it.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
outsideworld

outsideworld is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies so far.

If the original owner has lost or sold the original OS Leopard disc, and unable to provide, what are my other options?

OS X Lion is coming out soon, is there anyway to install Lion without needing Leopard?

When upgrading to Lion, is there a way to completely WIPE the previous Leopard OS, so that I end up with a completely fresh OS?

It is unlikely that the original Leopard OS disc will be provided, so I will need to think creatively about work arounds for this issue.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« fans not reacting to overheat | How to connect macbook pro to a tv »