New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

New MacBook User - voice to text

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cherry_bomb

cherry_bomb is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina, 13", # GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3, Early 2013

Sorry, I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum. Never mind
QUOTE Thanks
cherry_bomb

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina, 13", # GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3, Early 2013

Hi, everyone! Newbie to the forum, fairly new Mac user. Always been a pc gal until January this year.

So still learning lots of things about the MAC platform, but there is one thing I could really use help with.

I am a writer and recently developed tendonitis in my hand. So I am looking for a voice to text program for word. Everything I have found has been really pricey, so I am hoping you guys might have some recommendations regarding free-ware or trial downloads for programs I could try out. Basically I want to speak my writing into a mic and have it transcribed automatically into word.

Thank you in advance for any help!!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Merged threads.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I am not aware of any free speech to text programs for the Mac. I am currently using Nuance - Dragon Dictate for Mac - Dragon Dictate speech recognition for the Mac and like it. It's not exactly cheap though $130 - $150 US online). There was a program called iListen available at one time but I think they were bought by Nuance and to be honest the current version of dictate is better than iListen IMO.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
cherry_bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
I am not aware of any free speech to text programs for the Mac. I am currently using Nuance - Dragon Dictate for Mac - Dragon Dictate speech recognition for the Mac and like it. It's not exactly cheap though $130 - $150 US online). There was a program called iListen available at one time but I think they were bought by Nuance and to be honest the current version of dictate is better than iListen IMO.
Hi thank you for responding!! Is it pretty user friendly? How accurate is it at typing what you speak?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

It seems to be pretty easy to use for me. I am not using it as much as I could since my wife and I share the same computer room. The talking distracts her a bit.

I upgraded to the current version recently and am in the middle of creating/updating my voice profile. I accidentally created the last one based upon my MB Pro internal mic.

I was getting around 90% accuracy with the previous version. The newer version is using some different parameters in the recognition engine and according to them is supposed to work better but I don't have hard data on that yet. Will post bak when I run some tests.

As a consequence of the new engine they are not saying much about supporting wireless/BT at the moment--supposedly because some of them don't work well with the new base frequency setup. There is a workaround for that though.

QUOTE Thanks
cherry_bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
It seems to be pretty easy to use for me. I am not using it as much as I could since my wife and I share the same computer room. The talking distracts her a bit.

I upgraded to the current version recently and am in the middle of creating/updating my voice profile. I accidentally created the last one based upon my MB Pro internal mic.

I was getting around 90% accuracy with the previous version. The newer version is using some different parameters in the recognition engine and according to them is supposed to work better but I don't have hard data on that yet. Will post bak when I run some tests.

As a consequence of the new engine they are not saying much about supporting wireless/BT at the moment--supposedly because some of them don't work well with the new base frequency setup. There is a workaround for that though.
Thanks again for the fast response!! I looked on their site and I don't see where there is an option for a trial download. Do you know if there is one?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

I don't believe there is a free trial. I did not see one when I was on their site about two weeks ago.

While googling to see if a trial was available I saw a post reminding me that Nuance has a full refund policy in the first 30 days if you are not satisfied. I checked the site and that appears to still be in effect. When you click the buy link the next page states:

"Give it a try - without risk! You'll see a boost in productivity from the moment you start using any of our Nuance products - that's our promise. Try it without risk for one full month. If you're not completely satisfied simply return it within 30 days of your purchase and we'll refund the complete purchase price." (emphasis mine).

QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

I was going to post this in as an edit to the post above but it was becoming a wall of text.

There is a website called ATMac: Empowering Disabled Apple Users which has quite a bit of Mac-related accessibility information. Perhaps they will have some information that will be useful. Here's their review of the Mac version of Dictate. Dragon Dictate 2.0 Review

QUOTE Thanks
cherry_bomb

Posting to update- I purchased Dragon Dictate and it is a fabulous program. I didn't think you prior for your awesome suggestions, so wanted to make sure I gave you a thumbs up!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Glad you found that helpful. I have not been using the program much lately. My wife and I share the computer room and she finds the constant talking distracting. They do seem to have improved the program quite a bit though.

QUOTE Thanks
Rperez414

Rperez414 is on a distinguished road

Aren't there rumours that Siri is coming to the Mac soon? If you could wait, that would be free.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

That may be true but then again rumors have been wrong on numerous occasions. If that day comes I suspect that Siri will be fine for shorter things such as e-mail posts but not so good for those who use speech recognition as the primary method of input.

There have already been some comparisons of the builtin OS X dictation features to Dragon Dictate. I suspect that a comparison of any upcoming version of Siri would be similar.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Just bought a Samsung SE208DB instead of a Superdrive | Macbook Pro Fan speed »