New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

fans not reacting to overheat

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

magnethead

magnethead is on a distinguished road

My GF has a 19" MBP that she recently bought at the university auction. It's fine for internet browsing, but if we pull up netflix/youtube/ect, the CPU pegs to 100C and stays there. Last night it ran bouncing between 100 and 101C for 45 minutes before the screen stopped responding, but the audio kept playing.

I've read that the CoreDuo's ran hot, but what shocks me, is that the fans aren't responding to the heat. They're at 2600 RPM (floating +-50 RPM as fans will do) whether she's in firefox or netflix.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is packed in dust. I just blew a couple pounds of dust out of our DLP TV 2 weeks ago, and I build my own desktops, I'm no stranger to dust. How hard would a MBP be to blow out?

Thanks.

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

There's no such thing as a 19" Mac notebook - 17" is largest size they make.

You can click on the Apple at the top left - About this Mac - to see what processor it has - click More Info - to see all sorts of stuff.

everymac.com - great site to visit to find all sorts of info about any mac

ifixit.com - to find tear down and parts replacement tutorials

(90+C will not be unusual - would guess you're probably right about it being clogged with dust though)

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Dust could definitely be a contributor to the slightly excessive heat. You might try an SMC reset Link and see if the fans respond normally after that. They definitely should be cranking at those temps.
QUOTE Thanks
magnethead

magnethead is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
There's no such thing as a 19" Mac notebook - 17" is largest size they make.
I'll look next time I see her, but i'm pretty sure it's 2" bigger than my 17", and definitely about 5 pounds heavier (I can lift mine one-handed, but not hers)?

So the SMC is like MAC's version of BIOS?
QUOTE Thanks
Animechick

Animechick is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" 2007 Mac Book Pro

Babe, you are not taking my Mac apart, I'll take it to a Apple store or something. I love you but no. Also its a 2007 model and yes it's 17" we downloaded the SMC fan application on it to make the fans turn faster, and I can get them up to around 5,000rpm and the max I've seen the temp is 102C. I use a small personal fan under it as well to try and cool it down when I get impatient.
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Another tip, Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics - Capture Screen Shots

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
Nervousness

Nervousness is on a distinguished road

Was the computer ever exposed to humidity? My computer's SMC has also been refusing to spin up the fans, more so recently than ever, and I want to know if it could be related to the humidity it was exposed to throughout its life. Of course, you might not know this if you bought it used at that auction.

Some people are concerned about SMCfancontrol may wear out the fans prematurely, but I'm not sure how much evidence there is of this. I know that I could buy a replacement fan for $60 and probably replace it myself, so it seems worth the risk compared to the possibility of cumulative thermal damage to the rest of the computer. You might want to look into how difficult it would be to replace a fan in your model.

I have the late 2008 15" unibody, 5000 RPM works very well and is much quieter than the max of 6000, but at this speed it shouldn't go above 90 C. Maybe you do have dust buildup.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Massive display glitches! Need help. | MBP and MacBook Air SWAP - Change of ownership »