New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Good, free ssh program

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

joeg679

joeg679 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 6-2011, iPad 1, 2&3, iPhone 4s, ATV2

I used putty and winscp with my Dell, but I need one for the mac. I know you cna do it from Terminal, but I like to use a dedicated program, it just seems easier to me. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
kieran_r

kieran_r is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeg679 View Post
I used putty and winscp with my Dell, but I need one for the mac. I know you cna do it from Terminal, but I like to use a dedicated program, it just seems easier to me. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks
Excuse me if I'm missing something... what is wrong with Terminal? not sure you'll find anything better on an Intel-Mac...
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

While you could use a client, using the command line version is just as easy. Take a look here to see all the switches (options). Any particular reason you'd prefer a GUI?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
joeg679

joeg679 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 6-2011, iPad 1, 2&3, iPhone 4s, ATV2

The only reason why I prefer a program like winscp is because is seems easier. When I used winscp in the past, I would just enter the ip address, name and pw and have a screen showing all the files that were in the apple tv or on my iphone and I could just click on something and delete or edit it. It seems that the only way to do that in Terminal is to just enter command lines. Maybe I'm missing something.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Cyberduck is your friend. When connecting, use "SFTP." This will only work if the sftp server is installed on the remote machine which in my experience, has always been the case.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

MinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD

Hello Joe,

Though I understand that a GUI SCP program "seems" easier, the terminal is so much more powerful and flexible.

The learning curve is actually not that bad, and once you spend 10-15 mins you'll embrace it.

Also, if you edit your hosts file (/etc/hosts) and add the IP address of all your machines as well as the hostname you'd like to call them on your Mac, SCPing to them is as easy as typing:

scp userid@hostname

and boom you are in!

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

M
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

I use terminal for command line management, but I use Cyberduck for SCP just because it's faster and easier than typing in long paths to files/folders.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaMACMan View Post
Hello Joe,

Though I understand that a GUI SCP program "seems" easier, the terminal is so much more powerful and flexible.

The learning curve is actually not that bad, and once you spend 10-15 mins you'll embrace it.

Also, if you edit your hosts file (/etc/hosts) and add the IP address of all your machines as well as the hostname you'd like to call them on your Mac, SCPing to them is as easy as typing:

scp userid@hostname

and boom you are in!

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

M
even easier if you add an alias to your .profile...

such as..

alias sshbeer="ssh froot@192.168.7.155"

then you just would (in this case) type sshbeer and be presented with a password prompt. For SCP/SFTP though I use cyberduck.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How can I tell if my macbook pro has been restored to factory settings? | MBP inconsistently overheating, recommended repairs are overkill »