New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

The endless grey screen of doom...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Braunzo

Braunzo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro

I'm sure this has been brought to this forum countless times.

I restarted my Macbook yesterday and now I'm only getting the grey screen eventually resulting in the file with this question mark in it blinking at me. I went through and tried all the keystrokes while starting it up: 'Option' to look at the drives, 'Shift' to go into safe mode, so on. None of these work.

Today I got my latest OSX disc and insert it, it finally acted like it was going to do something as I noticed it was no longer the grey screen with the questionable file logo. This time it was the Apple logo sitting there stationary. However, it would go no further. I thought this may be a good time to go and check out the 'Option' key start up. It brought up a logo for the OSX disc and I clicked it, but it just went right back to the grey screen with the Apple logo and is going no further.

Any solutions? I need this issue resolved ASAP as this is my business and teaching computer. Nearest Apple store is about an hour away. Wondering if anyone here has the answers.

Thank you all in advance!

-BS.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunzo View Post
I'm sure this has been brought to this forum countless times.
Yup, it has. That's why we have a search tool.
Flashing folder with question mark at start up

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Braunzo

Braunzo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Yup, it has. That's why we have a search tool.
Flashing folder with question mark at start up
Yeah, that's cool. But there's still no resolve to those posts. I'm thinking it's just hard drive failure.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunzo View Post
Yeah, that's cool. But there's still no resolve to those posts. I'm thinking it's just hard drive failure.
It may well be hard drive failure. But there was a resolve in the link I posted… resetting the PRAM worked for one member who replied. Did you not try that?

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
powerbook_guru

powerbook_guru is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2003 Powerbook G4, 768 mb's of ram 120gb hard drive, 17 inch dvd burner, or Superdrive

its either a failed hard drive(hopefully not) or the better of the 2 a bad operating system, which simply requires a reinstall. If failed hard drive, and your comfortable with working inside your mac like I am, replace the hard drive with a new one.
QUOTE Thanks
kieran_r

kieran_r is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerbook_guru View Post
its either a failed hard drive(hopefully not) or the better of the 2 a bad operating system, which simply requires a reinstall. If failed hard drive, and your comfortable with working inside your mac like I am, replace the hard drive with a new one.
Start up from OS X Disc, launch Disk Utility from Tools menu - if drive isn't listed in left hand column it's most likely HD failure....
QUOTE Thanks
powerbook_guru

powerbook_guru is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2003 Powerbook G4, 768 mb's of ram 120gb hard drive, 17 inch dvd burner, or Superdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran_r View Post
Start up from OS X Disc, launch Disk Utility from Tools menu - if drive isn't listed in left hand column it's most likely HD failure....
My friend's does this, and I looked at it, and it needs a harddrive, the idiots at best buy told him he needs a mobo...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« overheating when watching youtube | can anyone see why my mbp crashed (report attched) »