New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

USB current overdraw with only cord connected in MacBook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Chickadee

Chickadee is on a distinguished road

I have an older MacBook (2007, just before they started releasing the unibody MacBooks) that has suddenly started having problems with my external HDD (iomega eGo 500GB)... well not even the HDD, really, but the Y cable. It used to work just fine, no problems, but recently when I just plug the cable into the USB ports (doesn't matter if I do one port or both) I get the USB current overdraw notice - I don't even have the HDD connected on the other end of the USB cable yet, I just plug in the cable and I get an overdraw notice. Seems to be just the cable, too since I can plug in my thumb drive and I have no problem. However, the cable works just fine (usually) with my PC desktops both at home and in my lab. Should I just invest in a new cable or is it something with the MacBook USB ports?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Try a new cable first. They're inexpensive and can be purchased from any store that sells computer accessories. If the new cable cause the same current overdraw, the problem may be with the ports. You can try to do a PRAM reset to see if that works.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
You can try to do a PRAM reset to see if that works.
Just over a month on from this thread, but I too am receiving Over Current notification, even via the battery-powered 4-port hub. It says that the hub will be deactivated, which is a nuisance, with the other USB devices plugged into it.

I'm trying to test an Apple USB modem should I need to use dialup with my 2008 Macbook. Is it widely known/recognised that the Apple USB modem has a high power demand? Seems odd to me that an Apple peripheral will not work effectively with an Apple (laptop) computer.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I've also had difficulty powering various devices with my 2008 MacBook. The same devices have no problem when plugged into my 2011 iMac. One of the devices is an older iPod with the built in Toshiba miniature hard drive. However, I would have thought a powered hub could handle an Apple modem. Perhaps because it's battery powered it doesn't provide enough current.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« keyboard typing nos instead of letters on Macbook pro | USB to Firewire cable? »