New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook battery

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Paradoox

Paradoox is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook, late 2009, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Hello,
something really weird happened to my Macbook Unibody (nov. 2009). I don't know if it's due to the very hot weather in France, but the plastic under my Macbook just produced a bubble... (here is an [url=http://static.macgeneration.com/img/2009/06/macbook_late_2009/31.jpg]image[/img] of what it should be, the bubble is on the right, near the USB ports)
So well I was kinda surprised... I'm using my Macbook everyday, and this day was a particularly hot one. I guess it helped...
But today, I started to be suspicious when I saw a warning, "Check your battery", near the battery indicator. I couldn't find any information about this...
So I downloaded Coconut Battery, that's a cool software btw, and here is what it says:

So first it said that my capacity is 78%. It looks normal from what I read on the Internet, that is, near 600 cycles, the battery starts to lack performances. My Macbook is 1,5 years old, has 542 charging cycles, so I guess it's normal...

But I have 2 questions:
- when should I change the battery ? At 50% ? Will it decrease slowly ? Or will it just go down, one day, to 10% when it's dead ?
- this morning it was 78%, this afternoon I launched a game, and it went down to 74% (see the screenshot), then I closed the game and it went back to 78%. Is that normal ? Does playing games affects my battery ?

Well if anyone knows, thanks in advance for helping me !

Cheers from Paris !
QUOTE Thanks
Young Spade

Young Spade is on a distinguished road

If you do a couple of searches, you'll find a lot of threads with the same question asked. However, yes, as you stated, the battery capacity will slowly decrease overtime, depending on how well you treat your battery. Personally *checks* I have 594 cycles on mine and 88.8 percent health.

What you can do is calibrate your battery, that will give you more accurate reads on the health of the battery. Now if there's bubbling, it is probably due to the heat. If you don't have a program or something that tells you the internal temperature of the machine, you should definitely get one. iStat and MenuMeters are great programs.

It is normal for the health percentage to fluctuate within 5 points though. If it goes from 70 to 50 and back again in the course of a few day you should definitely calibrate it though.
QUOTE Thanks
powerbook_guru

powerbook_guru is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2003 Powerbook G4, 768 mb's of ram 120gb hard drive, 17 inch dvd burner, or Superdrive

You have ALOT of load cycles on that battery, and about this "bubble" i couldnt see the pic... I think your battery is bad.
QUOTE Thanks
Young Spade

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerbook_guru View Post
You have ALOT of load cycles on that battery, and about this "bubble" i couldnt see the pic... I think your battery is bad.
Yea I know right? It's second hand too; I don't know how the guy did it but I guess I just got lucky.
QUOTE Thanks
Paradoox

Paradoox is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook, late 2009, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Thanks for the tips, I'll download one of those programs.

The bubble is getting smaller now, but anyway I guess it was due to the heat and the fact that the computer was running all day long.

I did calibrate my machine, I followed the steps given by Apple, but it didn't change the percentages. I'll try to calibrate again, to see if there's any change.

Thanks for the answers
QUOTE Thanks
Young Spade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradoox View Post
Thanks for the tips, I'll download one of those programs.

The bubble is getting smaller now, but anyway I guess it was due to the heat and the fact that the computer was running all day long.

I did calibrate my machine, I followed the steps given by Apple, but it didn't change the percentages. I'll try to calibrate again, to see if there's any change.

Thanks for the answers
Well that's good; but there's no guarantee that calibrating changes anything in terms of numbers. All it does is give you a better estimate of the health of your battery and, as a result, more accurate percentage and battery life left.

A lot of people calibrate once a month. You should definitely calibrate when you insert a new battery as well. For the past few times I used the spare it would randomly cut off on me; I first attributed it to the battery being bad but a month before that it worked flawlessly. I think the computer just thinks the battery is dead (since I'm inserting the new one after the old is almost gone) and requires the charger.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« bridging ethernet and Airport | need help on macbook.. upgrade...memory ram »