New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Battery draining faster after HD update to 2011 MBP.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ronin67

ronin67 has a spectacular aura about

Just wanted to see if the recent faster battery drain on my new 2011 15" MBP could be due to anyone of the following:

1. Updated my 5400 RPM hard drive to a 7200 RPM hard drive (used same brand/Seagate).
2. Upgraded RAM from 4 GB to 8 GB.
3. Running Windows 7 thru Parallels 6.0.
4. Recent update to OS X 10.6.8.

Would any of these affect/drain the battery faster than normal. When I had the 5400 RPM hard drive I could get at least 7-8 hours of battery life. Now with the 7200 RPM hard drive I only get about 4-6 hours of battery life after a full charge. Any input would be deeply appreciated.

May God Bless!

Ed
QUOTE Thanks
quin

quin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ

I have everything that you've listed on my MBP 13. I think it's 1 and 3.
QUOTE Thanks
ronin67

ronin67 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by quin View Post
I have everything that you've listed on my MBP 13. I think it's 1 and 3.
You nailed it. As soon as I removed Windows 7 from Parallels 6.0 the battery indicator shot from 2:15 to 7:07. I can't believe Windows 7 is that much of a battery hog? I will re-install same thru bootcamp this time.

Thanks!

Ed
QUOTE Thanks
buenhec

buenhec is on a distinguished road

MY MBP 13" is also running hotter on 10.6.8 and my battery life decreased dramatically right after update.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin67 View Post
You nailed it. As soon as I removed Windows 7 from Parallels 6.0 the battery indicator shot from 2:15 to 7:07. I can't believe Windows 7 is that much of a battery hog? I will re-install same thru bootcamp this time.

Thanks!

Ed
It's not windows 7 per se, it's running a virtual machine. If I launch VMWare, my battery life drops significantly too, regardless of the virtualized OS I launch.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dimming Issue? | Macbook screen looks zoomed in after connecting dongle »