New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MBP upgrade plan ... comments welcome

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

theseeker

theseeker is on a distinguished road

Hi, I currently use a 4-year-old MBP (15' dual 2.3), which I'm going to upgrade to a new quad 2.3, 8 gig ram. I have the money and could order any time, but here's my plan. I'm curious to know if this all makes sense to the experts around here, or if I might be off base with some of this. Any other suggestions for an upgrader welcome.

-First, I'm going to wait to order until Lion comes pre-installed to avoid replacing my system less than a month after purchase.

-Second: I've been a Mac user going on 20 years now. Whenever I've bought a new machine or upgraded systems, I've always copied all my stuff over (applications, documents, etc.) using Apple's migration assistant thing. This works great, but I figure it brings along a lot of stuff I don't need. This time, I plan on reinstalling software fresh and moving documents over on an as-needed basis. Is there an advantage to my doing it this way, or am I making more work for my self than necessary?

-If I do do the as-needed way, what's a good method to permanently archive my old machine's hard drive to easily access its contents as needed on the new machine?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
dmccloud

dmccloud has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD

In all honesty, there's no reason to wait until Lion comes pre-installed for two reasons. First of all, if you purchase a new Mac between June 6 and when Lion is released, you qualify for a free upgrade to Lion. Perhaps more importantly, you will be able to install Lion over Snow Leopard without requiring a restart. That also means you don't have to wipe the system and start fresh.

As far as migrating things over goes, that's more a matter of personal preference than anything else.

-------------------------------------------------
15" Retina MacBook Pro (Late 2013)
2.6 GHz Core i7 | 16GB | 1TB SSD | OS X Mavericks 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks
theseeker

theseeker is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info.

I guess what I was thinking is that it would be a cleaner install of Lion if that was the only system that had been on the machine. Or does it even matter?

On the other issue, is there no performance advantage to newly installed software vs migration assistant?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HELP: is my macbookpro running too hot? | Macbook Late 2008 Lagging Issues »